3 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

I remember reading that Buckweat isnt actually a grain...its a berry...I think. :unsure:

Anyways I'm doing a salicylate-free diet and all berries are high in salicylates. I have a list of "safe" foods and buckwheat is listed as "safe" but its also listed as a grain. I KNOW its not a grain....but what exactly is it?

I've been eating it and seem to be reacting to it although I'm not 100% sure. I've stopped eating it now to see if the symptoms go away.

I tried to research it but couldnt really come up with anything definite...nothing about it being a berry either. I did read more than once that its an herb. If thats the case it would be high in salicylates since pretty much all herbs and spices are.

I need to know why I'm reacting to buckwheat...is it gluten cross contamination (I doubt it) or is it an herb or berry (salicylates)? The brand is Poconos...its a hot cereal I bought at Whole Foods. I also reacted to Bob's Buckwheat flour.

Anyone know??
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

Here is a link to a good description of buckwheat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat

It is in the same family as rhubarb.

Buckwheat flour is not always 100% pure buckwheat, and may contain wheat. You have to check.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the link Peter. :)
Rachel

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

hey,
i'm allergic to buckwheat, and it's in the same family as rhubarb and sorrel (the Polygonaceae family).

the 'safe grains' you can eat while consuming low salicylates are barley, buckwheat, millet, oats, rice, rye and wheat. so basically, you should be cool with buckwheat, millet and rice.

i don't know if this helps, but i do know that bananas, peeled pears, mild veggies (cabbage, celery, lettuce), unprocessed meats, salt and soy sauce, carob, tofu, decaf coffee, milks, and water are the lowest in salicylates.

there are others that are also very low, but these have virutally none.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: