Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anyone Not Super Careful About Cross Contamination

28 posts in this topic

I am learning more and more to be careful. A tiny crumb sends me into a full blown reaction. I didn't think about wearing gloves when touching bread, etc. That is a good idea. What kind do you wear? I make cookies, etc. for my family and worry about the airborne flour. Any thoughts on that??? I have purchased a toaster, utensils, pans, cutting board, etc. seperate for me. Pays to be cautious!!! Thanks for all the great advice!!! :D

Ads by Google:

I was much more careful at first, other than accidental mistakes. Now that I've been at this for nearly 4 months, I think I've gotten a bit lax. I ate something questionable a few days ago, had a bit of stomach pain, but not bad. Had a bit of bloating and gas, and now I'm fatigued again! Sigh! I just couldn't figure out why I seemed so listless and unenergetic.

I decided to read my celiac disease literature again, and come back here for a refresher! I can see where my mistaakes have only caused subtle problems, but it's the feeling of general malaise that has gotten to me. I see where I need to be more observant of cross-contamination, too.

My older brother died at age 63 of colon cancer, and one DR. agreed it may be entirely possible he was asymptomatic celiac. I have very few symptoms with just cross-contamination, nothing you'd think anything of, if you didn't know. So, I know I need to be more careful, with the colon cancer in my family.

Thanks everyone for the good advice, and moral support here! :)

Well I don't any reaction from drinking Amstel and I know a few other Celiacs that do it too w/o a reaction. To each his own I guess. I believe the company and I believe my body.

I watch what I eat and I pick my own battles. For the most part, since I stopped being so extremely careful . . . I've felt 90% better than before the diet and even after I started the diet and was watching every single morsel area I put my food.

To Pturse: There are some beers being brewed that are malt free. I heard there is one in Montreal Canada. I am sure there are more. I am not a beer drinker so I haven't investigated this further but why not take some time..use the internet or switch to liquor. I always wondered years ago before I was diagnosed for celiac disease why beer made me feel so bloated and awful. I don't think you should risk it.