Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Symptoms Need Input

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I was just diagnosed as possibley having celiace disease. I'm not sure what do i do about it and what are some of the problems associated with this disease, what symptoms?

Ads by Google:

Hi has anybody experience severe bruising and anemia with celiac disease I also get tired alot.

Fatigue is the #1 sympton of celiac disease. Anemia is right up there too. If your villi are damaged then you are not absorbing all the iron and other supplements.

Chasefamily, Hi and welcome. :) The first thing to do when you are diagnosed with Celiac is immediately begin a gluten-free diet and stick to it for the rest of your life. That is the only way the symptoms will stop and your body will begin to heal. WHen and how were you diagnosed? Have you started a gluten-free diet yet? It is hard in the beginning but it does get easier, I promise!

Most people have the common GI probs such as:

diarrhea

nausea

weight loss

abdominal pain

cramps

etc...

and yes anemia can be a symptom too for some people. I personally do not have a problem with anemia but I have always bruised easily. Maybe someone else will be along soon to answer your questions.

Here is a link about Celiac symptoms:

Symptoms of Celiac

Here are some other helpful links:

Safe & Forbidden Food & Ingredient Lists for Gluten-Free Diet

Info on Celiac

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

This is a post that one of our members started (thank you Jessica), which has a TON of links with great information, I thought you may want to look through them!

Info link

I hope this helps you :rolleyes:

thanks for the quick reply. I have been to several doctors over the last few years for multiple problems. I see a hemotologists regulary for Essential thrombytosis and low ferritin level, plus severe bruising, I have been going ther since 1997, I was having bleeding problems and had to have emergency hysterectomy because I wouldn;t stop bleeding ever since that I have had problems with my iron count and have been on and off of iron medication since 97 but still bruise alot and always tired, I reciently went to a GI doctor for acid reflux problems and food coming back into my esophagus and he is the one who thought I might have celiac disease after reading all of my medical info. I am scheduled to have endoscopy the end of this moneth but he did not tell me to start a gluten free diet yet?

Hi Chase family and welcome!

I would advise you not to go gluten free until the

Endoscopy is done. If you start to eat gluten

free now it will affect your biopsy and blood

test. Have you had the blood test yet? My

GI doc did a celiac panel, I tested Neg for

the gene but positive for the IgA (75). I was

retested in 6 mos, my level is still somewhat

elevated. My doc said to try foods again one

by one to see how I react, I did this but

found I still cannot tolerate wheat or dairy.

My advice to you is to keep a journal of

what you consume as you will probably have

some "gluten accidents" from time to time.

Try to learn as much as you can about

this disease because my doc told me to

avoid wheat, rye, oats, and distilled vinegar!(DUH)

Get in the habit of readin all the labels, at first

it seems overwhelming. Try to come to this website

every day. There are plenty of people ready

to help you. Hope this helps.