2 replies to this topic

#1 Drip

Drip

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:59 AM

Hello everyone. I am new to the board and wanted to say hello to everyone. I have a few ??? and I apologize if this post ends up long.

When I was a child ( from when I can remember until I was around 12 or so) I could not eat any wheat products, had to have potato or rice bread, rice cereal, If I did I would get very sick, stomach pains, I would throw up and have diarrhea. All I can remember was that I was a pretty sick little kid. But then I got off the diet, my mother said I grew out of it. For a long time I did not get that sick again. I always felt tired and I have had problem with diarrhea my whole life, but never got really sick like I did when I was a kid. But I am in my 40 now and the last few years I have been really not filling to well.. I have had problems with my stomach and intestines. Very bad gas, blotting, diarrhea, cramping, soreness in my throat, and sores in my mouth. I asked my mom what I had when I was a kid and she said I was cystic, could she have meant CELIAC.

OK, what I am getting to is could they have thought I out grew this sense this would have been in the 60 and 70, it sounds like they know much more today about CELIAC then they did back then and now it is getting worse sense there has been damage done after all these years..

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:14 AM

It sounds like you most definitely had celiac. Back then, they thought you could "outgrow" because a fair number of people seem to get better when they hit puberty. And then as they get older the symptoms come back. I've seen messages on various boards from a large number of people who went through just this scenario.

Now we know that you're never "cured." Since you're still eating gluten I would go ahead and get tested, but I'm betting you have celiac. Yes, you've been doing damage, but going gluten-free will likely reverse everything (unless you've also developed other autoimmune diseases).

richard

#3 catfish

catfish

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:41 AM

Yes, this same thing happened to my sister. I didn't know about it until I was found to have the condition, when my mother suddenly remembered that my older sister had to go wheat-free when she was a child but later "grew out of it". This was just how it was handled back then. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: