#1 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

Hi,
A question about how to deal with dairy: I do not have any allergies to dairy/casein/lactose or lactose intolerance or anything like that, but like many Celiacs in the recovery stage, I react to dairy....in large amounts. For example, at the beginning of the diet, I ate a big bowl of gluten-free ice cream.....and I got sick that night from the dairy. I've heard something about using lactaid pills to deal with dairy (but I don't have any intolerances). Does that really work? Is it a good idea? Does anybody do this? I can deal with limited dairy, but I was wondering if anyone w/o intolerances uses this method so that they can still eat dairy....just interested. Thanks.

-celiac3270

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

celiac3270,

I can't help you about taking lactaid, I haven't tried it yet.
I did want to let you know that the original Lactaid made
by McNeil (makers of Tylenol) is gluten-free.
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#3 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hi celiac3270:
Long before my undiagnosed celiac symptoms became painful enough to suspect celiac disease, I reacted painfully to dairy. So my doctor suggested 'lactaid' supplements (chewable tablets) and lactose-free milk. That DID help for a while, so I didn't have cramping pains after I consumed dairy. HOWEVER, eventually recurrent pain led me to suspect celiac and try the gluten-free diet. Even while gluten-free and using lactaid, I still had lingering symptoms. When my Enterolab results indicated antibodies to gluten AND casein, I understood that lactaid didn't protect me from the milk protein casein, but only the milk sugar lactose (so I have to avoid all forms of dairy now). :o I have other celiac friends in my support group who can successfully use lactaid supplements and milk to consume dairy w/o symptoms. So I guess I would answer your question "Yes (for lactose intolerance)" and "NO (for cow's milk--which includes casein--intolerance)". ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:46 PM

Okay...thanks, for the replies...I guess if I can just avoid large amounts of dairy, that's better, anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: