Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dealing With Dairy

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

A question about how to deal with dairy: I do not have any allergies to dairy/casein/lactose or lactose intolerance or anything like that, but like many Celiacs in the recovery stage, I react to dairy....in large amounts. For example, at the beginning of the diet, I ate a big bowl of gluten-free ice cream.....and I got sick that night from the dairy. I've heard something about using lactaid pills to deal with dairy (but I don't have any intolerances). Does that really work? Is it a good idea? Does anybody do this? I can deal with limited dairy, but I was wondering if anyone w/o intolerances uses this method so that they can still eat dairy....just interested. Thanks.

-celiac3270

Ads by Google:

celiac3270,

I can't help you about taking lactaid, I haven't tried it yet.

I did want to let you know that the original Lactaid made

by McNeil (makers of Tylenol) is gluten-free.

Hi celiac3270:

Long before my undiagnosed celiac symptoms became painful enough to suspect celiac disease, I reacted painfully to dairy. So my doctor suggested 'lactaid' supplements (chewable tablets) and lactose-free milk. That DID help for a while, so I didn't have cramping pains after I consumed dairy. HOWEVER, eventually recurrent pain led me to suspect celiac and try the gluten-free diet. Even while gluten-free and using lactaid, I still had lingering symptoms. When my Enterolab results indicated antibodies to gluten AND casein, I understood that lactaid didn't protect me from the milk protein casein, but only the milk sugar lactose (so I have to avoid all forms of dairy now). :o I have other celiac friends in my support group who can successfully use lactaid supplements and milk to consume dairy w/o symptoms. So I guess I would answer your question "Yes (for lactose intolerance)" and "NO (for cow's milk--which includes casein--intolerance)". ;)

BURDEE

Okay...thanks, for the replies...I guess if I can just avoid large amounts of dairy, that's better, anyway.