1 reply to this topic

#1 aswolf

aswolf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:53 AM

Hi, I am trying to determine the source of a rash that I've had on my scalp for about 10 years now. I've recently been told that I have IBS but I suspect that I have celiac disease. I have about three spots of rashes on my scalp that are very painful and itchy. Two of them happen to be located where I had stitches as a child. This was when I was 8 and 9, about 20 years ago. I am now wondering if gluten may have been in the suture used. I have no way of knowing what was used. I've looked at the ingredient listing of sutures, but I'm no chemist. I don't know if they use gluten.

I tried a scalp therapy conditioner yesterday. It made my scalp feel great for a few hours. But today the rash is much worse. I did see that the conditioner had wheat protein in it. I thought this would be a good test.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pegster

Pegster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:32 AM

I had an itchy rash on my scalp before I was diagnosed with celiac disease and DH. From what I have read, the DH is typically on the elbows, knees, back, etc. I KNOW I had it in my scalp, too, and it didn't go away until I switched shampoos/conditioners. Wheat protein is in sooo many hair products. THe one that I used didn't say "wheat" anywhere in the ingredients, but had hydrolized vegetable protein in it which I THINk must have some connection. I also get DH blisters on my face after scrapbooking with stickers and glue and then touching my face! Most Celiacs don't seem to have the skin irritations and reactions, but since it's different for everyone, we just have to watch for our own symptoms. Watch out for hair gels and sprays with wheat protein in them, too. My scalp feels great now! :rolleyes:
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: