3 replies to this topic

#1 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

Have you guys seen this? Specifically this exerpt, but also all of the other proposed uses for wheat...
www.wheatworld.org/pdf/NAWG%20New%20Improved%20Uses%20Report%20Final.pdf

DESCRIPTION:
NONALLERGENIC WHEAT
Celiac disease is a medical condition characterized by gastrointestinal symptoms. It affects one
out of every 150 to 250 people in the U.S. Exposure to gluten – specifically the gliadin
component of gluten – in wheat-based foods triggers damage to the villi in the intestines. The
main treatment for the disease is complete avoidance of gluten in the diet. It appears that
companies are actively working to research and develop wheat varieties that would not cause
“allergic” reactions in people with celiac disease. This is probably being done through both
biotechnology and nonbiotech breeding programs.
It is unknown how the removal or
modification of gliadin in wheat varieties will affect yields and end-use performance.
If nonallergenic wheat with good agronomic and end-use performance could be developed,
initially it would likely be handled in a “closed-loop” system selling food products directly to
people with celiac disease. There would be a spatial problem in baked good distribution,
assuming people with celiac disease are evenly distributed around the country. One practicable
scenario would be for nonallergenic varieties to be contract-grown for a modest premium, milled
in a facility that was thoroughly cleaned of residue and baked near a limited number of large
metropolitan areas. Nonperishable food products could be sold through the Internet.
Over time, it is likely that the initial technology for developing nonallergenic wheat varieties
would become more widely licensed or additional methods would be developed. Eventually,
millers and other processors may require that varieties they purchase from farmers be
nonallergenic. At this point, the market volume will become very large, but any producer
premium will disappear.

Sounds fishy to me... I don't think I'd ever trust any kind of wheat at all. I don't even really miss it.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Actually, that sounds great. The reason we're so intolerant to wheat is, that they have bred several varieties together, selecting for a high gluten content, to make factory baking more efficient. Bread used to be a lot less 'gluey', due to less gluten.

So, if they manage to reverse the process and breed the gluten back out of it, good for them (of course, who knows if they'll succeed). The gluten-free variety might end up not being any worse for celiac disease people than millet or sorghum. That would be nice!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

I would be suspect of any bioengineered less gluten wheat product, or hypoallergenic.

What celiacs would they test out this wheat on to see if it does any damage, etc.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 Nantzie

Nantzie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

Actually, that sounds great. The reason we're so intolerant to wheat is, that they have bred several varieties together, selecting for a high gluten content, to make factory baking more efficient. Bread used to be a lot less 'gluey', due to less gluten.

I never knew that Ursula! I've been wondering about why it is that so much of civilization is based on agriculture and wheat when it makes such a huge part of the population sick. Makes much more sense now.

The thing with all of these things is it makes me wonder if it will help all types of symptoms, or just the intestinal damage. I'm guessing probably not. It would be nice not to have to worry about the digestive symptoms if this type of thing becomes reality, but the main thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow is avoiding the nightmares, depression, anxiety and exhaustion.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: