This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

pixiegirl

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I just wanted to say hi. I'm sure you all have stories to tell in getting diagnosed and here is mine. I've had stomach problems and diarrhea for 8 years. I've seen my doctor a few times for them and first it was a lactose intolerance (which I'm not sure I have) and then he finally decided I have ibs. Two weeks ago he ran some blood tests for celiac and they came back "normal" and he said I don't have it. However..... when he mentioned that we were testing for celiac disease I went on the internet and read about it and immediately went gluten-free.

By the time the tests came back all my symptoms were gone, no diarrhea, no noisy stomach, and I'm eating milk products with no symptoms (which is why I don't think I'm lactose intolerant). When I told my doctor this he said, go back on gluten products it has nothing to do with it. Well, two days ago I mistakenly ate a little bit of gluten and my belly was all upset again (along with other symptoms).

I'm going to get some further testing at that Entrolab in Tx. and see what they can tell me but for now this is where I stand, my Dr. won't even give me a referral to another doctor (i'm in an HMO and can't see anyone with his referral) as he said based on this one blood test, that I'm fine and that its in my head. (wrong end!)

Its frustrating but I know that the gluten is not working for me.

I'm a single mom on Cape Cod (not a lot of doctors) and I just thought I'd say hi and that I look forward to learning a lot more about this.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:D welcome susan------your story sounds so much like so many others of us--i too was told IBS, spastic colin and the best one--too much stress and to keep the stress away :blink: only an idiot would say something that stupid-----anyways--i went almost 20 years before finding out about celiacs and i do not need a doctor to tell me that gluten is my problem and a gluten free diet can not hurt you, especially when we know the gluten does--once again, welcome :D and feel free to email me at my aol addy if you want---deb ;)
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hello Susan,

my tests were negativ, because i did the same thing you did. I made research and found out about celiac disease and started to cut out the gluten in my food. When the doctor wanted to make some blood tests i told him, that i'm worried, that the blood tests wont show anything, because i already started the glutenfree diet. He replied, no, that should be ok. Well, of course the blood tests were negativ then. But i feel perfect when i eat glutenfree. And he said, well, that's pretty strange, but when i feel better with glutenfree food i should just go on eating that and come back in about 3 month. And he said, if i'm feeling better after eating glutenfree food, that's as good as a diagnosis in his eyes. And that was it. I feel so much better since i'm on a glutenfree diet, that i never want go back to eat gluten again. I cut the gluten out since July this year. But i would like to make this test in Texas too.

I think, you don't need positiv tests to know, that you feel better on a glutenfree diet.

That is just my opinion here. Lots of greetings, Stef

Guest barbara3675

Hey there pixiegirl......a similar story here, negative blood test, so I did the complete test with Enterolab including gene testing. Came back gluten and casein intolerant and I had been eating gluten-free already. They are wonderful. The test in non-invasive and the results came back in less than two weeks although they ask you to be patient for 3-4 weeks. I was very pleased with Enterolab. They send you the results via email. My granddaughter who is now 6 has had celiac disease for 5 years and we always wondered where she got it from as it is highly heriditery...now we know. I am feeling much better too, although I wanted going gluten-free to cure my fibromyalgia and it hasn't done that yet. Darn. Best wishes, do the Enterolab thing for sure. Barbara

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi!

I'll start by welcoming you to the forum!! There is a great bunch of people here who are really supportive, knowledgeable, and helpful......

My story is a bit different from yours, my bloodwork and biopsy showed without a doubt that I had celiac, but from all the posts I have read here, it is not uncommon at all that the bloodwork came back negative. I would also recommend to you that you to the Enterlab testing, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about them....

Good Luck and Welcome!

Karen

flagbabyds Collaborator

Welcome@!!!

This is a great message board and it is really hard for me to do my HW when I am posting on this board. LOL wow if you have any questions you can e-mail me, i have been living with celiac disease for 13 years, all my life

Archived