Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Trace Amounts Of Blood In Urine Be A Symptom Too?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 RedHeadMel

RedHeadMel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

I suspect that I have a gluten allergy. I'm new to this forum (1st post). Yesterday I started an gluten elimination diet to see if I feel better. I've got problems with diarrhea, gas, abdominal pain from gas, occasional dizziness, anemia, infertility (had kids through IVF), and Antiphospholipid Syndrome (autoimmune production of antiphospholipid antibodies).

This past year I've had trace amounts of blood in my urine. My doctors - GP and Urologist have ordered a CAT Scan and a cystoscopy (scoping of the bladder and urethra) to rule out problems. They can't find a cause of the blood but aren't concerned with cancer after the tests. I'm wondering if the blood in the urine might be related to the gluten allergy. Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps it's unrelated but I'm trying to look at my symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

I get this effect also. Gluten can impact the kidneys and I also throw protein as well as blood at times. Your not alone in that effect. Your other symptoms really sound like celiac if I was you I would give the diet a good strict try. You have come to a good place for info and support. Ask any thing you feel you need to and someone will likely have a answer or point you to one.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

I'm guessing it's not much blood or they'd be a little more worked up over it and probably would have used the "B" word by now. If I remember right a reading of blood cells in urine under 300 is considered normal, anything over that raises questions. My highest reading was 2300 I think :D There are other threads here somewhere where other people have talked about having kidney disease and Celiacs. In my case it was something called Thin Basement Membrane where the filtering membranes in the kidney's become rigid and don't filter well. They were allowing blood and protein into the urine at relatively high rates. It's not life threatening and doesn't progress into something that is. It may or may not be related to Celiac Disease. There's really no way to know.

There are many different kidney disorders out there, and many of them do not lead to renal failure and are not life threatening.

Violet
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#4 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

I remember too reading about a conection between blood in urine and celiac, even in animals, I think I read it on the neurotakl or braintalk forum where dogtorj posts.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: