Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gallbladder And Thyroid Problems

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to hypothyroidism and what seems to be gallbladder disease.

I only just found out in the past two weeks that celiac disease can destroy or harm internal organs---possibly with autoimmune damage. I have been diagnosed with under-active thyroid about 4 months ago, then about 2 months ago (after losing health insurance) started having what seems to be gallbladder attacks: these are accompanied by sluggish digestion (gastroparesis??), bloating, pain, and loss of appetite. The pain is in the upper-right torso---and seems to abate if I avoid eating fats.

Since I can't see a doctor until the health insurance is available, I am asking those of you with experience in this area:

Does that sound like gall bladder attacks? Does anyone have both hypothyroidism and gallbladder disease? Celiac disease runs in my family---a couple nieces showed symptoms in early childhood---the rest of us were asymptomatic until middle age.

I welcome any comments and advice.

Thanks.

sarafina

Ads by Google:

sarafina

I do not have celiac (hubby does) but I can attest that this sound like gallbladder disease. I started getting ill last year around this time (2/07) and by July I was having gallbladder attacks (about 3 of them) and soreness in my upper abdomen - sore to touch around where the ribcage ends in the center of the abdomen and a band of pain going under my arm pit around to the back under the "wing." I had gas and bloating already by July but in July a severe non-stop diarrhea started along with loss of appetite to the point where I lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I had gallbladder surgery on 8/16/07 and still had loss of appetite for about another month; and still had the gas and bloating and pain in upper abdomen and across around the back - both sides of my back now. I am 6 mos after surgery and still get gas and bloating and some pain when I eat stuff I shouldn't (fatty foods). Before removal, I was so nauseous the sight and smell of food made me feel like throwing up.

While I had some gallstones, my diagnosis was primarily gallbladder disease - my gallbladder was not functioning any longer and could have become infected (big serious problem that kind of infection).

I also have hypothyroidism and had half my thyroid removed about 10 years ago and have to take Synthroid everyday. But again, I do not have celiac...as far as I know I don't...