This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Car Trip To G'ma G'pa's House...1200 Miles

flboysmom

flboysmom Rookie

We'll be leaving for Ohio in a few weeks to visit family and we're concerned about the food situation during the road trip. We are staying overnight to and from Ohio. I'm planning on making reservations at Amerisuites or something similar that isn't too expensive, but does have a fridge/microwave. Those of you who are seasoned at this, can you offer little tidbits and hints to save this mommy and daddy some hassle :rolleyes: ? It's challenge enough to make the trip with a breastfeeding four month old, busy two year old, and know it all seven year old...throw gluten-free into the mix and you've got one glorious experience :blink: .

:D Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Packed sandwhiches (like PB&J) or rice cakes w/ PB. Raw, cut, and baggied vegetables and whole fruit. Nuts and dried fruit are also good. gluten-free dry cereal is good too. I've even brought the small boxed soy milks and a baggie of quinoa flakes to make in a microwave with me on trips. With fridges, leftovers can be carried with you in a small cooler.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I just bring food with me. . .pre-toasted gluten-free bagels, fruit, water, and things I like. Then go shopping at a health foodstore when I get to the end place. I usually make sure I find one and call ahead to see if they have what I need.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Bring your own food, as the others suggested. Also, make sure you're aware of what gluten-free restaurants you could eat at along the way if you run out of food or want a change.

judy05 Apprentice

If your traveling the Pa turnpike and stop at Breezewood,

try the Denny's restaurant. They have been very accomadating

to me in the past. They have a list (behind the counter) of

all the allergens and which foods you can eat. I always have

scrambled eggs, hash browns and bacon. Hubby eats most

of my bacon!

Just remind them to clean the grill, use a clean spatula, the

eggs are fried in a clean skillet in butter. If you can't have

the butter they will use oil. They have been so nice to

me, I can't recommend them enough. I haven't tried any

other Denny's. I did try a local restaurant in my town, my

first try other than Denny's and I gave them the same

instructions and I made out fine. My brother insisted on

my going and he told me to order a steak, baked potato,

and salad. It was nice to eat out with family again, I just

needed a little nudge.

Thomas Apprentice

I think packing food is the safest.

hapi2bgf Contributor

We have taken regular car rides to FL since my daughter was born (4 yrs now). It's an 8 hr ride. We have had EVERYTHING happen from projectile vommit, to explosive diapers, to constipation in a toddler, potty training false alarms and accidents, tire blow outs, and major traffic. Here are some of the things that work for us.

1. My personal favorite for traveling with kids is a movie! Baby Einstein will work wonders on a screaming 4 month old. Mine had colic and could scream for a solid eight hrs! So beg, borrow, rent, buy one of those DVDs for the car. It really is well worth it. The older kids will love the movies and it is a great way to get some quite.

2. Pack a cooler full of the gluten-free foods for the trip and some healthy snack for everyone else. Also, pack some of the "junk" food treats the kids never get to eat at home. It makes them a little happier when the kids are maxed out for the car ride.

3. Make dad plan on stopping at a fast food place with a play ground at least once a day for 30 min! The older kids can eat their meals in the car after they play. The logic of stoppiong for half an hour or more never made sense before, but it makes a world of difference in the kids attitudes.

4. If you can, pack a bag a "emergency" new toys for the kids. This is for when they are starting to get on each others nerves and you still have 4 hours to go. Raid the local Dollar store or toy store for inexpensive toys that do not require setup or batteries. (no crayons!) MIne is still young enough that the pretend and imagination toys work great for us.

5. The final tip is to leave as early as humanly possible (4 or 5 am is great!) The baby will sleep and the older kids will be tired and quiet. Then plan to end for the day by 4pm at the latest.

To date we have only had one ride that required us to stop early and find a hotel. That was the projectile vommit trip. Sick babies are no fun to travel with. Bring paper towels and wipes.

Have a great trip!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived