17 replies to this topic

#16 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

My dd and I both react with puking as well. So miserable at the time, but it does seem to make the stomach issues pass over quicker at least!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

I have been diagnosed with Celiac for eleven years and have been gluten free most of that time. I never deliberately have anything with gluten, but once in a while get something accidentaly. Usually my reaction has been bloating, cramping and diarrhea. However, three times in the past three months I have had severe vomiting with profuse sweating after accidental gluten ingestion. I was frightened and not sure if this was a gluten reaction, so am glad to hear that other people have reacted this way. Actually, even though the vomiting is horrible, it gets the gluten out of the system quickly and I usually feel somewhat better after about three hours.

A couple of times I suffered a migraine the next day with some continued cramping.

Welcome to the forum BJPN. Getting it out fast does sound like a good thing! :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 emsimm

emsimm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have been gluten-free for almost three years now, following the discovery of severe, non-Celiac gluten intolerance. (For all I know, it could legitimately be Celiac's, I just haven't tested positive yet.) I, too, react very, very violently now to ingesting even small amounts of gluten, but this wasn't always the case.

My reaction to ingesting gluten used to be passing out, ataxia, mouth sores within 20 minutes of ingestion, 9-11 bowel movements a day, total lethargy and brain fog, etc. Now, within just 1 hour of ingesting gluten, I vomit continuously and uncontrollably for hours and hours. What makes this more difficult for me is that I used to be able to take an over the counter anti-nauseal, but I seem to have developed a severe corn intolerance that leads to a lot of equally bad symptoms. Because of the corn issues, I also have to steer clear of anything in pill form, so I'm turning to homeopathic remedies like teas, etc, in lieu of being able to take conventional meds.

I usually ride it out with popsicles and ice chips. Club soda with homemade ginger syrup or lemon slices helps, too. Then, when my stomach calms down and starts to 'reset' itself, I make a sipping broth with carrot, fennel, ginger, and vegan bouillon that's gluten-free. (I ordinarily eat a lot of ginger and fennel because they are both great for stomach upset.)

I am extremely strict with my diet: I've never ever had an 'open meal' or small bite of anything containing gluten, no eating anything processed on shared equipment, but occasionally, I have made bad decisions by being too trusting of servers (not asking enough questions or being insistent) or by ordering menu items that I was told were gluten-free, but were actually not (like a piece of fish dipped in searing flour) or ordering a mixed drink that was made with a well liquor instead of the gluten-free, top shelf item I had asked for. I never order anything that doesn't come in a bottle now if I am out with friends, especially in a busy, loud environment where people don't hear you or are so busy they make mistakes. My fiance and I refer to these as 'the rules'!

I've had four (4) incidents in the past 3 years like this (since going gluten-free), when I thought I was being safe and I wasn't, but it was only in the three most recent that I vomited, so my experience jives with that of other forum users who seem to say that over time their reactions to gluten worsen. It takes me longer to recover from ingesting actual gluten in food form than it does drinking liquor made with gluten. What scares me the most about the fact that my reaction has worsened is my heart health. Vomiting like that is not just uncomfortable, it's scary!

For the last month, I've been religiously taking a probiotic, as well as a B complex vitamin. I've also been making a concerted effort to eat lots of naturally gluten-free and corn free fermented foods, like Kombucha, miso made without soy, relishes, etc. I think that these things are really improving my overall energy and health, and hopefully they'll help my gut. They seem to have decreased my recovery time after my last vomiting bout. Usually it would take me a full week to feel 'normal', but I bounced back much more quickly this time. I wish I had started with the probiotic right away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: