Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Calcium Supplements

4 posts in this topic

I just had the Bone density test and was told I had osteopenia and need to start 1200 mg of calcium w/ vit. d per day.Does anyone know if there is a certain brand that is safe?I know it's over the counter.Thank you.

Ads by Google:

I use Caltrate 600 w/ D--two per day. (with breakfast and dinner--don't take it all at once, it won't all be absorbed) :)

As I understand it, magnesium is also needed for calcium to make it into bone. Also, calcium and magnesium compete for absorption, so a lot of one can lead to a deficiency in the other. That's why many supplements have both.

NOW Foods makes a powdered Cal/Mag supplement, with vitamin D. There are no fillers, binders, or other ingredients, and is listed as gluten-free. It can be blended into fruit smoothies easily, though the citrate forms of powdered supplements tend to add a citrus taste. So they go better with citrus flavors and acidic things like raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, etc.

And Vitamin D is equally important (as magnesium). Info on osteoporosis sites on the web states that "enhances calcium absorption in the body - it helps with bone formation and when taken along with calcium, plays a critical role in maintaining bone density."

I don't know what area you live in, but if you have Vitamin Cottages (aka Natural Grocers) their staff is knowledgeable about which product lines are gluten free.