3 replies to this topic

#1 Shanmegjilal

Shanmegjilal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

I just had the Bone density test and was told I had osteopenia and need to start 1200 mg of calcium w/ vit. d per day.Does anyone know if there is a certain brand that is safe?I know it's over the counter.Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

I use Caltrate 600 w/ D--two per day. (with breakfast and dinner--don't take it all at once, it won't all be absorbed) :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

As I understand it, magnesium is also needed for calcium to make it into bone. Also, calcium and magnesium compete for absorption, so a lot of one can lead to a deficiency in the other. That's why many supplements have both.

NOW Foods makes a powdered Cal/Mag supplement, with vitamin D. There are no fillers, binders, or other ingredients, and is listed as gluten-free. It can be blended into fruit smoothies easily, though the citrate forms of powdered supplements tend to add a citrus taste. So they go better with citrus flavors and acidic things like raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, etc.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

And Vitamin D is equally important (as magnesium). Info on osteoporosis sites on the web states that "enhances calcium absorption in the body - it helps with bone formation and when taken along with calcium, plays a critical role in maintaining bone density."

I don't know what area you live in, but if you have Vitamin Cottages (aka Natural Grocers) their staff is knowledgeable about which product lines are gluten free.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: