2 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this yet for weight loss? I've been seeing a lot of ads from doctors for it on TV. I've googled it, but haven't found much about the negative affects. Basically the doctor will inject you with this hormone or give you a pill. The diet itself is really strict. I think it's only 500 calories, yes 500. The info I've seen says that even though you only eat 500 calories a day, you are using something like a 1000 calories in fat. I'm unclear how all of this works.

Anyway, just thought I would see if anyone has done this and how safe it is. Thanks.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

Considering your body needs minimally 800 calories just to even function things like your heart and other major organs, it's clearly detrimental to your health.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 maile

maile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

I know this is being pushed by kevin trudeau of the "establishment is hiding the truth from you but I'll tell you as long as you pay to join my website" fame, so I admit to being suspicious of the plan. in his book he does mention the originator of the diet (it's not trudeau) and such a diet concept has been around for quite a number of years but has always been considered controversial for the reasons that lorka mentioned.

Having said that, 500 calorie diets will work whether or not you have an injection of hcg as the diet is more or less all protein and a bit of very low glycemic fruit and vegetables. I imagine the hcg is to help you from being hungry and to speed up your metabolism. In Canada, and a couple of states on the east coast, we have a similar diet Dr Bernsteins (not the diabetes doc, this is another one) that has been around for a long time and does something similar. in this case the injections are every 2 days and are allegedly comprised of b12 and b6 or a b complex if you are getting a cold.

it works but the real problem is once you stop the b12/6 injections and start maintenance you have to be SUPER careful to add food in slowly, and by slowly I mean up it by 100 calories every 2 weeks or so otherwise it's rebound city.

I did Dr B and kept the weight off until this past summer when either hormones or the worsening of Gluten intolerance caused me to jump up 10lbs in 7 days :( (and this was weeks after my vacation where I had had lots to eat and drink! <_< )

so I can tell you it does work but it's not an easy plan to follow. if you want to get an idea of what can happen to you on such a low calorie diet (but without injections) then google "kimkins" and read some of their stories. If nothing else the stories of the constant nausea aka "SNAP" is a turnoff but I will admit the part about the scam is both sad and interesting at the same time.
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: