Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Symptom

5 posts in this topic

I SEEM TO HAVE ALL THE SYMPTOMS OF CELIAC BUT ACTUALLY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH WEIGHT GAIN. IS THIS POSSIBLE.

Ads by Google:

Yup. Definitely possible. According to the book "Dangerous Grains" (which deals primarily with Celiac & Gluten Sensitivity):

"Obesity is another warning sign that gluten may be at the root of your difficulties. Despite the long standing perception that celiac disease leads to frail, wasting, undernourished individuals, there are more obese and overweight celiacs than underweight. This is revealed through random testing for celiac disese."

I wish you the best in finding out what's causing your troubles :)

- Michelle :wub:

Yes it is possible. In fact weight gain is a symptom of celiac. Not just weight loss. Everyone has different symptoms with celiac...there are over 200 symptoms involved with celiac too.

My weight went up to 250lbs before I went gluten-free. I lost 80lbs when I went on a gluten-free diet. I have to carefully monitor what I eat because I gain weight very easily. Weight gainers seem to be in the minority of celiacs but that is one of the symptoms.

I am definately a weight gainer.... anywhere from 6-10 lbs overnight if I accidentally become contaminated. I didn't find much help from the gluten free diet itself, so I have turned to the Specific carbohydrate diet, which is just an even more narrowed diet that is said to help repair and clean out your intestines. I have found out the bad effects of being a weight gainer with gluten. My GI is insistent that I have IBS, not celiac, but I know my body better than that. Anyway, you are not alone by any means