4 replies to this topic

#1 ronin lawman

ronin lawman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:19 AM

I SEEM TO HAVE ALL THE SYMPTOMS OF CELIAC BUT ACTUALLY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH WEIGHT GAIN. IS THIS POSSIBLE.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

Yup. Definitely possible. According to the book "Dangerous Grains" (which deals primarily with Celiac & Gluten Sensitivity):

"Obesity is another warning sign that gluten may be at the root of your difficulties. Despite the long standing perception that celiac disease leads to frail, wasting, undernourished individuals, there are more obese and overweight celiacs than underweight. This is revealed through random testing for celiac disese."

I wish you the best in finding out what's causing your troubles :)

- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:43 AM

Yes it is possible. In fact weight gain is a symptom of celiac. Not just weight loss. Everyone has different symptoms with celiac...there are over 200 symptoms involved with celiac too.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

My weight went up to 250lbs before I went gluten-free. I lost 80lbs when I went on a gluten-free diet. I have to carefully monitor what I eat because I gain weight very easily. Weight gainers seem to be in the minority of celiacs but that is one of the symptoms.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#5 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

I am definately a weight gainer.... anywhere from 6-10 lbs overnight if I accidentally become contaminated. I didn't find much help from the gluten free diet itself, so I have turned to the Specific carbohydrate diet, which is just an even more narrowed diet that is said to help repair and clean out your intestines. I have found out the bad effects of being a weight gainer with gluten. My GI is insistent that I have IBS, not celiac, but I know my body better than that. Anyway, you are not alone by any means
I LOVE JESUS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: