Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Neurological Symptoms

4 posts in this topic

For those with neurological symptoms from gluten, how long does it take for them to subside after being glutened? How long did it take to feel better after going gluten free?

My 8 yr old daughter is suffering (and in turn me too). I don't know for sure it's the gluten since she has another medical condition too. But I am desperate for information to try to help her. She's been gluten free for 1 1/2 years but I could be better regarding the cross contamination or hidden gluten. I know she's been glutened recently several times from my stupidity.

Susan

I've been gluten-intolerant since getting the flu last September. CC results in my GI tract purging and minor lethargy, but being slapped upside the GI tract by a bit gluten hit results in a stronger reaction. I suspect everyone has different reactions, rate of reactions, and recovery times. For me, a heavy gluten hit results in depression, mood swings, and lethargy that take about 5 days to go away. GI symptoms take about 3 days. My emotions aren't severe, especially because they are due to gluten, rather than being tied to life experiences. I can ignore most of it, but that is an advantage of age, too. If I was young I think the mood swings would hit me harder, especially with the feelings of isolation that come with "not fitting in" and not being able to eat some of what most people do. There are so many unknowns and what-if's with gluten intolerance, that it takes an emotional toll even without the gluten-induced mood swings. Best wishes on your research. It takes a lot of strength to question and look for answers.

I personally have really strong Neurological side effects from gluten, including: feeling irritable, depressed, "out of it" tunnel vision, inability to focus and pay attention, quick tempered, etc. For me, it partially depends on how much gluten I have ingested. For instance, if it were cross contamination, I would experience symptoms within an hour or so and may feel the Neurological symtpoms for a couple hours. If it was something more substantial (such as a cro

It took 6 months before the neuro symptoms were noticably improved. I still have significant problems though 2 years later. Every time I get cross contamination, I get 5-7 days of terrible neuro symptoms and then 2-4 weeks of diminishing neurosymptoms. Unfortunatly, I'm hypersensitive and manage to CC myself every 6 weeks or so.