This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Soon After Getting "glutened" Do You Feel Effects?

Tidings

GFinDC Veteran
10 hours ago, Elly23 said:

So I've only been gluten free for about 4 months now, and before that I had GI problems that made my Dr say to go gluten free. Nothing super serious though so over the past two days I had a few moments of weakness and had a few bits of gluten here and there. BIG BOO BOO on my part. Within maybe 45 minutes to an hour I started having a gurgly tum and nausea. I had to go to the bathroom a few times and was on the verge of throwing up multiple times (gagging). Last night I had a lot of wind and very sore tum. It's still sore today. I have learnt my lesson the hard way!

Does anyone else get nausea and or dry heaving? Thanks

Hi Elly,

You may not get much response since this is an old thread.  I used to start getting symptoms about 30 minutes after consuming gluten.  I had many symptoms including dry heaves and projectile vomiting.

Did your doctor test you for celiac disease before telling you to go gluten-free?  If not they screwed up bad.

You have learned that the immune system reacts to tiny amounts of gluten.  The immune system also reacts to tiny germs we can't see with the naked eye.  So even minor seeming cross contamination can make us sick.  Sharing condiments with gluten eaters is a bad idea.  Sharing a toaster is also a bad idea.  Kissing a gluten eater can also be bad if they haven't brushed their teeth well.  There's lot's to learn about eating gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
5 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Hi Elly,

You may not get much response since this is an old thread.  I used to start getting symptoms about 30 minutes after consuming gluten.  I had many symptoms including dry heaves and projectile vomiting.

Did your doctor test you for celiac disease before telling you to go gluten-free?  If not they screwed up bad.

You have learned that the immune system reacts to tiny amounts of gluten.  The immune system also reacts to tiny germs we can't see with the naked eye.  So even minor seeming cross contamination can make us sick.  Sharing condiments with gluten eaters is a bad idea.  Sharing a toaster is also a bad idea.  Kissing a gluten eater can also be bad if they haven't brushed their teeth well.  There's lot's to learn about eating gluten-free.

Hi Elly, 

DC is very knowledgeable and I find him very helpful since I joined the forum. 

I avoid gluten As much as humanly possible. I get my ataxia symptoms first, my gi symptoms within 35-45 minutes of consumption.  My DH (the rash) arises in 7-9 hours.  2 days my mood plummets. I get a variety of symptoms and they can vary at times. My consistent symptoms are ataxia, gi, DH, neuropathy.

In the course of my years undiagnosed ( as I was misdiagnosed ) and during my challenge nausea is prevalent. Shortly into trying to add gluten back into my diet for my challenge I would often have to pull over while driving due to nausea. A few days into my challenge I stopped driving due to my ataxia, so the nausea at that point was moot. 

welcome to the forum. 

sometimes it's best to strictly and consistently remove gluten from the diet to fully comprehend just how bad it is for you. 

it took me over 2 years to recover after  my gluten challenge. 

stay strong and  consistently gluten-free