Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

2 Year Old With Celiac Or Lactose Intolerance? Need Help!

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 srlmomof3

srlmomof3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:20 AM

I need a little help...Ugh! My daughter (2 1/2) has gone from the 9th percentile to the 6th and now 3rd in the last yearish. Her belly is distended most of the time, always at the end of the night some nights way bigger than others. She is very clingy. Her poo floats which I have just notice because I have just started looking, not all of the time but the majority of the time. She has always had loose stool and sometimes goes many times during the day. Her limbs are thin. When I took her to the reg Dr (ped) to get her GI referral he took an xray and her stomach was full of air. Her symptoms seem to be worse when she drinks milk or has yogurt but she doesn't drink that much milk or have that much yogurt. Does anyone have anyone suggestions or advice?--

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I am sorry that your daughter is having digestive problems.

I think she should have a celiac blood panel drawn. Failure to thrive and distended belly, floating poo and gas, loose stool, lactose intolerance... it all sounds so familiar. Make sure her GI runs a full celiac panel on her. In the meantime, I would withdraw dairy products and give her almond or hemp milk or rice milk other than Rice Dream (has been found to be processed with barley). If she does have celiac disease she would be likely to be lactose intolerant because the enzyme lactase is made in the small intestine where the damage occurs. Let us know how the appt. with the GI goes and whether withdrawing dairy helps.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 raeskids

raeskids

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

My little guy, who was just diagnosed with Celiac, was told to remain of all lactose for 6weeks since Celiac can cause lactose intolerance. In fact, in his biopsy and endoscopy results he had little to no lactase in his system. I believe the reference range was that you should have around 24.5 uM/min/gram protein and anything under 15.0 is abnormal. My Samuel had 1.3 uM/min/gram protein.

Good luck!
Rachel
mom to seven

including Samuel (16 mos) - diagnosed with Celiac 1/2011
positive labs, endoscopy, and genetic screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: