arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Doing Gluten Challenge

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Doing Gluten Challenge (10 member(s) have cast votes)

How long after starting the gluten challenge did your celiac symptoms return?

1. Immediately (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. After first day (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Within first week (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Within second week (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Within first month (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. Longer than one month (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Never (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

6 replies to this topic

#1 costellosfriend

costellosfriend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Hi:

This question is for those who've done a gluten challenge after being gluten free for a while. How long before symptoms return?

I've been on a low carb diet for over 3 years now, not perfectly gluten free, but nearly so. My symptoms that cleared up with low carb were mild tummy troubles (manageable without doctors or OTC meds) and moderate insomnia. I remember both symptoms extending back to childhood. My working hypothesis is that it was eliminating gluten from my diet which caused these symptoms to disappear.

I've decided I want to be tested for celiac. I've completed three days eating a lot of gluten. (People keep saying eat 3 to 4 pieces of bread. Bleh! I'm eating all the foods I've been missing for the last few years - pizza, lasagna, macaroni, etc.) Aside from a mild change in my BM and little bit of gas - which could be caused by any radical change in diet - I'm seeing no return of these symptoms. I'm sleeping like a log.

I keep seeing people here talk about starting the gluten challenge and immediately being in so much discomfort they can't continue. Not me. How long before I conclude gluten wasn't the culprit after all? (I'm more worried about regaining the weight I lost on low carb than anything else.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

When I went on my gluten challenge I had tons of gluten - some days probably the equivalent to an entire loaf of bread! It was great fun I have to admit. No symptoms occurred in the three months I ate gluten so I was shocked when I found out I do indeed have celiac disease!

So, you can definitely be asymptomatic as far as tummy troubles go and still have celiac. I actually felt better ON gluten than OFF gluten. :o
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 costellosfriend

costellosfriend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Thanks. I have to admit I'm enjoying it so far too. :)

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

It took me 3 to 4 days for the agony to start. I did challenges twice and both times it was a delayed reaction. Everyone is different though so some may react quickly and some may seem not to react at all. Don't just look for GI symptoms as some of us will get fatigue, headaches, problems with mood, bone and joint pain etc.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 costellosfriend

costellosfriend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

My God! I am sooooo tired!

I'm on day 7 of my gluten-full diet. Aside from some extra gas and gaining a pound or so, I'm not having any problems. But I'm so tired. I'm sleeping ok, but I get up feeling like I could use an extra few hours. And today I'm totally wiped out. I want to curl up in a corner somewhere and take a nap!

I'm wondering if this is my first real change from the diet. It reminds me of how I was some ten or more years ago. Always exhausted. My mother finally made me go to a doctor. I never got a satisfactory answer. Then somehow the fatigue went away. Maybe when I started low-carbing? I don't remember. I do remember I never got that burst of energy that some people get on low-carb. Maybe not being constantly exhausted is my burst of energy. <_<

#6 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I get numbness all over, loss of motor control, confusion, and tired immediately. Digestive symptoms take a few days. Headaches take a few days too. I am eating gluten for two months and it is miserable. It's not even fun because I have an immediate reaction. Bleh.

#7 ayndim

ayndim

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Digestive issues seem to happen within the hour for me. I accidently got gluten not too long ago and it was so bad I ended up having to stay home from work. I was not able to do the gluten challenge at all. Lucky for me, I have a great GI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: