3 replies to this topic

#1 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

Hi Everybody, In August I will be 2 years gluten free. I was doing great but for the past 6 weeks I have had indigestion and acid reflux even if I just drink water. I had an episode like this last summer that lasted 4 weeks and then just went away. How do you know if you developed a secondary intolerance? I dont think I am getting any gluten. I did notice this morning that my vitamins now contain artificial colors -they must have changed the formula. Could this be it? Whatever I eat or drink seems to bother me so I can't pinpoint it. I had these symptoms prior to diagnosis but with severe stomach pain and bloating -luckily I don't have that now but this is getting old. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

IMHO the best way to figure out another intolerance is to eliminate things that have changed. Perhaps first get a different vitamin. See if that makes a difference since that was one thing that changed. Do you take any generic script meds? If so double check to make sure they are still gluten-free as companies can change binders at will with generics.
Do you eat soy? If you do that would be the second thing I would try eliminating if changing the vitamin doesn't help. Casien intolerance could also be an issue.
There are other things that you could try eliminating but I would start with those.
If this continues or gets worse you might want to see your doctor. There are times when stuff isn't intolerance related.
Something that I find helpful when I get this type of pain is name brand liquid Pepto Bismal. It seems to help a great deal. I get the reactions like you speak of with either gluten or soy.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

Keep a food diary. Write down what you eat and how you feel and only change one thing a week. Another thing that you can do is eat a lot more of the thing than usual, 3 or 4 times the normal amount and then wait to see if it makes you sick. I usually feel it for sure the next morning. It takes my son more like 2 days. Make sure you wait long enough for your symptoms to appear.

#4 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:35 AM

Thank you both. I am starting with the vitamins and I bought some pepto bismol. I will start keeping track of what i eat and watch for the soy and casein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: