Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Do You Know What You Are Reaacting To

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody, In August I will be 2 years gluten free. I was doing great but for the past 6 weeks I have had indigestion and acid reflux even if I just drink water. I had an episode like this last summer that lasted 4 weeks and then just went away. How do you know if you developed a secondary intolerance? I dont think I am getting any gluten. I did notice this morning that my vitamins now contain artificial colors -they must have changed the formula. Could this be it? Whatever I eat or drink seems to bother me so I can't pinpoint it. I had these symptoms prior to diagnosis but with severe stomach pain and bloating -luckily I don't have that now but this is getting old. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Ads by Google:

IMHO the best way to figure out another intolerance is to eliminate things that have changed. Perhaps first get a different vitamin. See if that makes a difference since that was one thing that changed. Do you take any generic script meds? If so double check to make sure they are still gluten-free as companies can change binders at will with generics.

Do you eat soy? If you do that would be the second thing I would try eliminating if changing the vitamin doesn't help. Casien intolerance could also be an issue.

There are other things that you could try eliminating but I would start with those.

If this continues or gets worse you might want to see your doctor. There are times when stuff isn't intolerance related.

Something that I find helpful when I get this type of pain is name brand liquid Pepto Bismal. It seems to help a great deal. I get the reactions like you speak of with either gluten or soy.

Keep a food diary. Write down what you eat and how you feel and only change one thing a week. Another thing that you can do is eat a lot more of the thing than usual, 3 or 4 times the normal amount and then wait to see if it makes you sick. I usually feel it for sure the next morning. It takes my son more like 2 days. Make sure you wait long enough for your symptoms to appear.

Thank you both. I am starting with the vitamins and I bought some pepto bismol. I will start keeping track of what i eat and watch for the soy and casein.