1 reply to this topic

#1 VAGuy

VAGuy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

I was really having a rough time trying to get ready to send off to Enterolab and I went back and re-read the info my dietician had given me. This part really helped.

"If you have persistent diarrhea, it will be necessary to follow a very strict diet, eliminating all milk and milk products prepared without Lactaid; fatty foods; and high-residue foods, such as raw fruits and vegatables, nuts and seeds. Cocoa, chocolate, citrus juice, cold or carbonated drinks, and alcohol need also to be excluded temporarily. Lean meats, skinned chicken and turkey, and fish will be your main sources of protein."

High residue foods equates for me to just about any fiber at all - two sources of fiber at one meal can be a problem, sauted green peppers are bad, laso dried skinned fruits.

Fatty foods - means well cooked bacon or 50% reduced fat sausage in AM does not work for me, UTZ Cheese Curls between meals is bad, dinner sausage is bad.

Chocolate chip cookies with no fiber really set me back.

gluten-free yogurt seemed to bother yesterday.

Minimizing anything sweet seems to help, and juices are out.

So whats good?

Bananas are backI've missed them so much and they do not bother.

Smucker's jellies and preserves are gluten-free, and since a tablespoon has 12g sugar, I probably only get 6g on a slice of toast which does not bother - and lots of flavors.

Mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple are low in fiber.

Successfully made a loaf of edible bread (previously - 2 abject failures, 1 flop, and one pathetic cake, I can do cookies).

This really has helped me, makes life more predictable/enjoyable.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:39 AM

I was really having a rough time trying to get ready to send off to Enterolab

Hi VAGuy,

What are you waiting for? :huh: You can do the tests on any diet you are on. If you have diarrhea, it does not matter. They are testing the levels of antibodies in your stool and the amount of fat that would indicate malabsorbtion. You do not have to be gluten-free or dairy-free. You do not have to wait until the diarrhea subsides, or anything like that. If you are gluten-free, that is okay too. If you are on a reduced gluten diet, that is okay. Anything works. I hope you send them off soon.

If you are also doing the gene test, it does not matter what you are eating for that one.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: