Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

I Need Serious Help!

3 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in feb this year. I've been struggling staying on the diet. I have a serious addiction to good gooey gluten. I normally do well, but I keep falling lately. I feel like since I didn't get an official diagnosis of celiac that all the issues I have are in my head. I eat gluten and then I pay for it, and my family does too. I get really severe headaches and have no energy after I eat it. I wish I could just accept this in my head.

I guess I struggle with all of this because I'm such a picky eatter I'm a vegitarian so my meal/food options are limited and feel like I'm eatting the same thing repeatedly.

The rest of my family eats gluten so it's too easy to fall off. I try to buy things that I do not like for them so the temptation is not there.

I wish that there was a test that sys "yes" this is what you have. I feel mental. Sigh. Thanks for listening,

If eating gluten gives you a headache and makes you exhausted it may be affecting your brain and nervous system. The antibodies are mounting an attack against all your organs. I do hope you can find the willpower to keep yourself healthy and on the diet. It is hard but you don't want to end up with damage that can't be undone. GI is no less serious than celiac and both need to be strict with the diet. Can you try to keep some safe treats on hand for when you get tempted?

You will discover you will get more and more sensitive to gluten cross contamination and "accidents" over time.

THIS is your PROOF that it's not "all in your head."

Ask yourself what you would be doing if you were not sick all the time.

Consider changing your diet to reflect what you need, not what you think you need. Vegetarian is designed for grain eaters, and is frequently too high carbohydrate and too starchy for gluten intolerants, especially if they have blood sugar issues, shown by cravings, then crashing and burning after consumption of too many high carb grain products.

Find a gluten free calcium and magnesium supplement, and a gluten free B complex, to help with the cravings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Peruvian-style Chicken Soup (Gluten-Free)
      This Peruvian-style soup incorporates rice, corn, peas, and other vegetables, along with a bit of serrano chili for a nice snap. View the full article
    • Greetings from St Petersburg Florida!
      Actually, St. Pete is where I was when I became so sick from Celiac that I lost my ability to work!  Yep.  Lost my job, my profession.  I tried everything to get a diagnosis.  I heard lots of "That's very interesting; but I don't know what it means."  Gosh, I hope I never hear that again!  Took me another 10 years and moving to another state to get properly diagnosed.  Still unable to work. I tell you this not to freak you out; but to impress upon you that Celiac and being gluten free are very, very serious things.  Given your age, I'm certain your outcome will be much brighter.  Much, much brighter.
      MissL101, Welcome!  Hopefully, you'll be like the vast majority of people on the site who started feeling better pretty quickly and advanced to feeling even better soon--as in weeks to months!  I'm assuming you'll be "one of them" since you're only 22.  Consider yourself very lucky to be taking steps at such a young age to help your body heal. I realize there's a lot of stuff to miss.  But, I'd give most anything to be back in St. Pete!  We lived there 13 years and loved every single minute.  Perfect weather, nice & relaxed people.  (We left to be close to the best medical help for my husband's situation.) Oh my God, how I miss the bakery at Publix!!!  I was a frequent flyer.  A very frequent flyer.  Never used to make me sick--as far as I knew!  Alas, now I can't tolerate sugar, dairy, nightshades, soy, or ANY grains.  Rats!  Still, I maintain hope that I will get well--or at least much better. So go out into the sunshine and the gentle breezes; and take a walk on the beach for me.  I can smell the air now.  Mmmmmmmm.  Love it!  Sorry, I digress.  Hopefully, you can enjoy your Against the Grain pizza and your beer.  It makes me feel good just imagining you enjoying these things.  So, ENJOY!!!!!!
      Hello MissL from a fellow Floridian. I'm in north central FL. Yes, you can enjoy pizza again! Your local Publix carries Against The Grain gluten-free pizza & it's delicious! Sometimes you have to look hard for it. In my Publix it is on the top shelf in the freezer & instead of standing up, the boxes are laying down which makes them easily missed if you don't know exactly where to look and how. Here's a link so you know what it is: Scroll down to the pizzas. Being in St. Pete, your stores may have/probably have a greater selection of Against The Grain products. One tip on the pizza --- get yourself a perforated pizza pan, you can pick them up for around $8. it will make all the difference in the crust. And the only gluten-free beer my Publix only carries is New Grist. it's decent but I was never a fan of beer --- gee, I wonder why? Please be sure to read the Newbie 101 in the coping section. Welcome to the club. As stated by Darrin, you will adjust and be fine. In fact, you'll be better than fine because you will be WELL. Cheers!
      Yup it sucks. I found the worst thing was the loss of convenience to go out and eat without having to screen everyone and everywhere you you go to determine if it's safe. Pizza is basically ruled out completely since they have flour in the air. Beer....*sniff*... I miss it although there's a couple decent gluten-free ones. Omission lager is the best I've found and you can get it at publix.. Just remember your health comes first, learn as much as you can about getting gluten-free ( I did research for a week before I made the change so I could do it completely in one shot). You will adjust and you will be fine. Chin up!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member