#1 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hi,
To make a long story a little shorter...I've cut a great deal of my gluten out after my dd tested positive to anti-gliadin antibodies. I no longer have gluten in my kitchen but sometimes I eat out. I've found that I have more energy when I'm gluten-free and it seems to take days to recover after eating out. I was diagnosised with relux and IBS years ago.

I decided to get tested for celiac disease and I called to get the results. My Dr. doesn't know much about celiac disease so she's not really sure how to interpret the results. From what I've read on the forum my test shows tissue damage from celiac disease. :unsure:

I tested positive for the Endomysial IGA autoantibodies and the Transglutaminase IGA Autoantibodies. However, the anti-gliadin antibodies were negative as well and my total IGA was normal.

Does this mean I have celiac disease and just wasn't consuming enough gluten to make the anti-gliadin antibodies positive?

Thanks for the insight!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

I tested positive for the Endomysial IGA autoantibodies and the Transglutaminase IGA Autoantibodies. However, the anti-gliadin antibodies were negative as well and my total IGA was normal.

The tTG is the most specific test for celiac disease and the EMA is right behind that test for accuracy and they mainly detect damage to the intestines. They are much more reliable then the regular IgG and IgA antibodies tests.
The tests that came back negative could have been for a # of reasons.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Katie,
I know I need to be gluten-free because I feel better!! I just wanted the blood work to help keep me honest, isn't that horrible. :ph34r: I have two other family members that have conclusive blood work and my dad was tested this week as well. I think celiac disease is just in my genes!! I'm so thankful that we had my daughter tested or I would still be living with "IBS." ;) I cried this morning when I got the results. I think more or less because this answers so many questions for me. I've felt so bad for so long, I was afraid people thought I was a making it up!

Thanks for confirming and I'm so thankful to have found this support system. :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: