17 replies to this topic

#16 HiDee

HiDee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

They turned out just fine, though they spread a lot and the cookie cutter shapes kind of got lost after baking if they weren't rolled really thin. It was a little difficult to roll them out because the dough is so sticky and soft (even after a night in the refridgerator), it required a lot of flour for rolling. Mine were definitely more brown than the picture above, maybe it's the kind of molasses. I think if I make them again, I'll cut down the molasses a bit so the dough isn't so sticky. I also added the two tsp. of ginger, I thought it would be a shame to make gingerless men when they were doing the whole gingerbread man story in class and everything.
Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Oh good start...sorry yours were a bit different then mine.

Yes...definitely took much more flour to roll these than the pre-gluten-free version. It's been a year so I forgot...I found that I used a really small portion at a time leaving several small balls in the frig -- I only baked one sheet at a time in the oven -- not both racks.

If you still have trouble try the rolling between two pieces of parchment paper.

The dough does keep in the frig -- last year we made a lot one day but did keep some dough in the frig to make for family that came to town the week after Christmas.

Edited...forgot...also make sure you dip the cookie cutter in flour...that helps A LOT

Edited by GottaSki, 04 December 2012 - 06:23 PM.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I put plastic wrap on the top and bottom of sticky pizza dough while rolling out. I like that I can see thru it.

If they come out blobby shaped, we call them guinea pigs shaped cookies. Or my dad sticks some red hots in the middle before baking and we call them volcanoes.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: