Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Lactose In Birth Control Pill: Enough To Cause Problems?

3 posts in this topic

So, I've been on the same BC pill for years. It works. It doesn't bother me. I trust it. My body is so used to it it's like clockwork.

I know it's gluten-free (checked when I went on the diet), but since I am weeding all soy out of my life right now, I checked the non-medicinal ingredients just to double check and was shocked to see: Lactose!? Whaa?

I am not absolutely sure if my issue with milk is lactose or casein, or both. I looked up this issue but didn't find much on it. Probably the amount of lactose in a single pill is pretty miniscule, but it gets you to thinking...

Has anyone else had issues with lactose in the Pill? Did you have to switch to something else, or do you just acknowledge the amount as negligible and not worry about it? I can handle very small amounts of dairy without much trouble.

The last thing I want to do right now is switch BC methods, but would like to try and figure out if switching to a lactose-free pill would be better in the long run.

Any experience, ladies?

Thanks

Peggy

Ads by Google:

"Typically" the medical grade lactose is so highly processed and refined it isn't an issue for MOST people. There are a few out there though that do.

Yeah, that's what I figure. I've never had trouble with it, and switching BC would be much more dangerous for me right now that worrying about a minute amount of lactose.