arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Lactose In Birth Control Pill: Enough To Cause Problems?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

So, I've been on the same BC pill for years. It works. It doesn't bother me. I trust it. My body is so used to it it's like clockwork.
I know it's gluten-free (checked when I went on the diet), but since I am weeding all soy out of my life right now, I checked the non-medicinal ingredients just to double check and was shocked to see: Lactose!? Whaa?

I am not absolutely sure if my issue with milk is lactose or casein, or both. I looked up this issue but didn't find much on it. Probably the amount of lactose in a single pill is pretty miniscule, but it gets you to thinking...

Has anyone else had issues with lactose in the Pill? Did you have to switch to something else, or do you just acknowledge the amount as negligible and not worry about it? I can handle very small amounts of dairy without much trouble.

The last thing I want to do right now is switch BC methods, but would like to try and figure out if switching to a lactose-free pill would be better in the long run.

Any experience, ladies?

Thanks
Peggy

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

"Typically" the medical grade lactose is so highly processed and refined it isn't an issue for MOST people. There are a few out there though that do.

#3 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, that's what I figure. I've never had trouble with it, and switching BC would be much more dangerous for me right now that worrying about a minute amount of lactose.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: