Good fish tacos almost always deliver happiness at the table. These fish tacos are easy to make and sure to please. The recipe is versatile, so scale and/or improvise as desired.
- 1½ pounds skinless tilapia, or other whitefish fillets
- 2 large avocados, (one will be served as garnish)
- Juice from 4 fresh limes (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño chile (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat), minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- ½ medium red onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 cups of green or red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a blender, combine avocado, one-third of the cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Transfer into a small bowl, and set aside. Add more lime juice and/or water as needed.
Combine the cabbage, onion, and one-third of the cilantro in a large bowl and squeeze a lime half over it. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Heat tortillas individually in a pan over medium heat. Heat each tortilla until soft and transfer onto aluminum foil. Wrap until serving time.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and two jalapeño halves over medium-high heat; swirl to coat bottom of pan.
Season fish on both sides with ground cumin and coriander, salt and pepper.
Cook fish in two batches (starting with larger pieces) until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard jalapeño. Add a splash of additional oil as needed.
When fish is done, place into warm tortillas, top with salsa verde and serve with cabbage, onion mix and garnish of lime, green onion, radish, cilantro, avocado, crumbled cotija cheese, and additional salsa as desired.