Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamie1450

2 Year Old Violent And Hostile After Eating A Ritz Cracker...

We were at my sister in law's house Sunday night when my son found a Ritz cracker on the floor and of course shoved it in his mouth. He didn't have diarrhea, which is is usual "glutenized" sign, in fact he didn't have a bm at all yesterday. He was violent, hostile and kinda spacey all day though. Can anyone relate to that after gluten exposure? Today he doesn't have the big D but his poop has that awful chemically smell that clears out your sinuses and he still seems a little off. He's 2 don't get me wrong, he throws stuff, screams and well...acts 2 but not like this usually.  

Can your symptoms of gluten exposure vary? Thanks! 

He was diagnosed via blood test and improvement on a gluten free diet (Oct 2012/19 month old) by his pediatrician. 

We were at my sister in law's house Sunday night when my son found a Ritz cracker on the floor and of course shoved it in his mouth. He didn't have diarrhea, which is is usual "glutenized" sign, in fact he didn't have a bm at all yesterday. He was violent, hostile and kinda spacey all day though. Can anyone relate to that after gluten exposure? Today he doesn't have the big D but his poop has that awful chemically smell that clears out your sinuses and he still seems a little off. He's 2 don't get me wrong, he throws stuff, screams and well...acts 2 but not like this usually.  

Can your symptoms of gluten exposure vary? Thanks! 

He was diagnosed via blood test and improvement on a gluten free diet (Oct 2012/19 month old) by his pediatrician. 

Yes symptoms from accidental glutening can vary and change a bit over time.

Mine sound like an adult version of his.  I get a strange kind of tired and spacey within an hour of ingestion -- often followed by "out of the blue" anger and then flu like symptoms for several days.

Though I haven't eaten as much gluten as is in a cracker since going gluten free, the mood and odor sound familiar.

I'd make sure he drinks lots of water in the short term as it should help the symptoms ease up faster, saving him a few extra days of misery. And otherwise, I'd just make sure to avoid sugar like the plague (including too many carbs) and focus on healthy foods full of nutrients.

I'd expect to be miserable for at least 5-6 days if I ate a cracker. Poor guy. Best to both of you.

We were at a playdate once and he found a piece of pizza from my friend's daughter's lunch, and he took a bite. BAD poop with in 30 mins, diarrhea the very next morning and horrible horrible mood. Symptoms lasted about a week and a half, that time. This time around is very different, more mood issues, less bowel issues it seems. He also seems to be running a little warm too. Not sure if that is connected.

It's becoming very clear that we cannot take our son anywhere. Raising a gluten-free toddler in a non-gluten-free world is challenging. I love him being my little guy but on the other hand I can't wait for him to be a bit older and have an understanding of his eating restrictions.