Ahigh

Should my five year old son be gluten free?

Rate this topic

My five year old son with Down Syndrome has chronic constipation.  His blood work came with positive for celiac (i get our sons tested every year bc my husband, their dad has celiac) but when we got an endoscopy done the results were negative.  Does this mean he could have an intolerance to gluten but not be full fledge celiac? And would a gluten-free diet help his constipation? Any help would be great! Thank you!! 

How much positive was the blood work?  Barely over normal could mean other things.  It's possible to miss the damaged areas with a biopsy.

also, they should be testing him because people with DS have a higher rate of Celiac.  Google " Ds and Celiac".  There are some studies.  A good Children's hospital will know that.

Edited by kareng

If your son had a full Celiac panel done and more than 1 test was very positive, and taking into account he has Down's, I would be feeding him gluten free regardless of what the medical profession had to say about it.  Kareng is correct...those with Down's have higher rates of celiac.  I know a family whose son was misdiagnosed for YEARS and he has Down's. The doctor actually apologized to them for all the grief this kid went through. He is thriving on the gluten-free diet and does not cheat.

A 5 year old may not be old enough to have acquired enough damage for them to find on biopsy. The fact his Dad has celiac only adds to the risk factor here.  Constipation is another problem, not everyone has diarrhea.  Many people report positive results when they go gluten-free.