This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Metronidazole

Rachel--24

Jenn2005 Contributor

Hi Rachel. My husband took the Metronidazole also and he was sick the entire time he took it. He actually took it two different times (for bacterial overgrowth - which he didn't have), the first time he couldn't finish it and the second time he finished it but was sooooo sick. I also called the manufacturer before he took it and verified that it was gluten free. Hopefully your body will adjust to it but he was sick the entire 14 days. If it works for you it will all be worth it. Hope your feeling better soon.

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks Jennifer,

I'm gonna stick it out...only 9 days left. I wanna make sure I get rid of the infection. No pain...no gain...right.

Why did they make your husband take it if he didnt have a bacteria overgrowth? :unsure:

Rachel--

Tues- here is the product i use

PB 8 Pro-Biotic Acidophilus for Life

1,000 mg

let me know if you want me to send some

what did your dr recommened you take for it?

Hope your feeling better

Saw you had to take a day off work. PLEASE DON'T FRET OVER THIS...iF YOU HAVE TO TAKE EVEN A WEEK TO FEEL BETTER THE REST OF YOUR LIFE...IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

JUDY

My doctor gave me a new probiotic when I had my appt. yesterday. I forget the brand but it had 12 billion per capsule.

I made it to work today but I'm moving like a slug. My boss says dont worry about it but I dont like feeling useless at work. Oh well...like you said its gonna be worth it in the end! :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

only 9 days left.

GOOD RACHEL I wanna make sure I get rid of the infection. :P YEP YOU SURE DO!!!\

I made it to work today but I'm moving like a slug. My boss says dont worry GOOD FOR YOUR BOSS.

YOUR MEDS SOUNDS LIKE A ATOMIC BOMB :lol: GOOD FOR YOU

JUDY

Jenn2005 Contributor

Thanks Jennifer,

Why did they make your husband take it if he didnt have a bacteria overgrowth? :

Hi Rachel, the doctor he was seeing at the time felt it was easier to treat him for bacterial overgrowth than to test him for it. He said if he felt better than he had it and the medicine worked and if he didn't feel better than it wasn't a contributing factor. Several months later he was seen by a doctor at a University Hospital and they actually did the test for bacterial overgrowth and it was negative. If you get a chance when your feeling better can you post the type of probiotics your doctor gave you and the brand. I tried to find the kind you mentioned in your post about the C. Diff. but no luck around here. Hang in there it will be over soon - Shane (my husband) said that 2 weeks seemed like an eternity in hell. After I looked at the bottles he actually took the Metronidazole 4 times a day and Levaquin 3 times a day for the 14 days and the the mg totaled like 1750 mg a day no wonder he was sick.

Jennifer

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Jenn,

A doctor should never give out antibiotics based on assumptions. This is why alot of people end up with unnecessary problems. Doctors overuse antibiotics and dont warn patients of the risk nor do they tell patients about probiotics and how to restore the natural flora of the gut following antibiotic use. A perfectly healthy person with no health problems could suffer from taking antibiotics but most often those who would end up with problems are those who have undiagnosed conditions and unhealthy intestines prior to taking the antibiotics. I had to learn all this the hard way. The doctor was stupid to perscribe a drug like Metronidazole w/out doing testing. That antibiotic is strong enough to wipe out a good portion of the bacteria and if he wasnt advised to take probiotics he would have been jeopardizing his health for nothing.

I'm not sure if the probiotic my doctor gave me is available in stores. I've never seen it. The brand is Pharmax. Its HLC high potency capsules. I'm not sure what HLC is but its got that in it + 4 probiotic strains.

If anyone knows what HLC is let me know k. :)

• 2 months later...
kristi Rookie

I had a very bad reaction to Flagyl. I called my doc but they said to stick with it and it was a "difficult" med. Well that wasn't great advice. It built up over several days until I spent all night in ER, shaking, high heart rate, lot of D, dizzy and fainting feelings, sweating, maybe there is a connection here. I thought I was going to die and the doctors didn't know why.

Archived