Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eleep

An Enthusiastic Vote For Activated Charcoal!

I can't remember who posted about this stuff initially, but it really seems to have helped take a bunch of the horror out of getting glutened.

I had a cross-contamination issue yesterday when my roommate and I got our mayonnaise jars mixed up (I'm still learning -- I should have labeled mine more clearly -- I knew there was a risk and I just used the stuff anyway because I was in a hurry).

Felt the initial cramping sensations in my stomach and took three activated charcoal capsules -- the stomach stuff didn't get worse and, although I felt a bit run down (it took me a couple hours before I remembered that I'd bought the charcoal, so I was well into starting to react), I haven't had any of the insomnia, overwhelming panic attacks or well-nigh four-five day yuckiness that's wiped me out every time I've been glutened.

I was careful to take my usual vitamins and such long enough after the charcoal (about four hours) that it wasn't likely to absorb them as well (helps to have a nursing student roommate who could help me approximate the length of time I should wait for the stuff to pass through my system!).

So -- here I am today feeling pretty darn good for someone who got glutened yesterday. There's been minimal D. and gassiness. I have been pretty achey -- but I also picked up my free weights for the first time in a while yesterday morning, so I'm pretty sure that's what's causing most of the ache -- and it hasn't been enough to stop me from doing yoga today, grading about twenty papers and going about my Sunday as usual.

This is making me feel hopeful that my life won't be totally disrupted forever -- and that I will be able to thrive and (with some caution) travel and do the things I've always planned to do.

eleep

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Local health food store -- the brand is Country Life -- says "no gluten" on the label, which I'm pretty sure I trust because charcoal and gelatin are the only ingredients.

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06

I can't remember who posted about this stuff initially, but it really seems to have helped take a bunch of the horror out of getting glutened.

I had a cross-contamination issue yesterday when my roommate and I got our mayonnaise jars mixed up (I'm still learning -- I should have labeled mine more clearly -- I knew there was a risk and I just used the stuff anyway because I was in a hurry).

Acouple months ago I mentioned here that charcoal caps helped me with gas and etc belly problems, I did not say that using several (never more than 6 per day) can cause black stools but you have probably found that out. Glad you are getting some relief with the charcoal caps. I buy mine in a health food store, may be available elsewhere. Good luck with coping with celiac disease!! :) evie