This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Question About Celiac Diagnosis

kculotta

kculotta Newbie

I am new and not sure if my dd has ceilac. We are waiting a genetic test to rule it out--I decline endoscopy because my gut said she didn't have celiac. But now I am not so sure. I will spare you the details ;-) At any rate, can someone tell me what is meant by foul smelling stools? Ihave noticed a wierd almost chemical smell coming from it. At first I dismissed it because Pampers changed the liner in the diaper and I had heard other people say they thought it smelled wierd when wet and I agreed. But last night Mary woke in the night with a very runny large volume diaper that smelled like this odor worse than ever. Yesterday we were at my parents having a huge spahetti dinner with garlic bread. So lots of wheat there. So now the wheels are turning. Or maybe the wierd odor is a result of the change in diet (she had been constipated and we found out that she has milk and egg allergies). I am running an experiment with some new diapers to see if I still smell it. In the meantime I thought I would ask. Help!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

imsohungry Collaborator

Hi! I'm sorry I don't know much about the smell of a celiac poop. ;) But Welcome to the forums! I am sure someone will be able to help you. I have a 3 month old and I am currently having him see a pediatric GI for reflux and observing his GI probs. for celiac. Unfortunately, all his poops smell foul, but I can't attribute it to celiac because he's on a formula that smells like dog food. :rolleyes: Honestly, I don't know how he drinks it. I'm sure someone with experience on your question will be answering your post soon. Good luck and welcome to the forums! :) -Julie

katecopsey Newbie
I am new and not sure if my dd has ceilac. We are waiting a genetic test to rule it out--I decline endoscopy because my gut said she didn't have celiac. But now I am not so sure. I will spare you the details ;-) At any rate, can someone tell me what is meant by foul smelling stools?

Not sure about the foul bit, but if the child were older you would look for 'floaties'. The celiac bowel movements contain lots of fat (I think thats right) and they tend to de difficult to flush. OF course any gastro upset that causes wind etc will smell 'off' to say the least.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Actually, you wouldn't want to use the bathroom for about an hour after I go when glutened, or you would be gassed and would faint. So, you are right to question your baby's foul smelling poop. It is pretty much a dead giveaway. Not that diapers ever smell pleasant, but there is a limit normally to the bad smell.

kculotta Newbie

Thank you all for the quick responses. I know that a friend with a child who has a different malabsorption disease explained how the whole house can stink after her boys have a bm! Its not so much that it permeates the room--it is justa very very odd almost chemical odor. I don't even know what to compare it to.

She is a gassy kid and always has been since birth. She thinks its a riot when she "toots". It can be loud and quite stinky at times but it often goes unnoticed. All this questioning of her health started because of her petite size. But she has been petite since birth and I formula fed her--so she should not have had any reaction to wheat, right?

Ugh--not sure if I have solved the mystery or if I am barking up the wrong tree. At least I am barking, right?? LOL

Thanks again--you must be a great group to jump in and help a clueless outsider like me. I appreciate it!!

wonkabar Contributor

I can't imagine that the diaper lining is creating the foul odor. My son's poop was pale, wet and had the most god-awful, foul smell to it when he was still on gluten. If your kids have had Rotavirus that's the closest example I have for a comparison; it would practically take our breath away. We've had him on a gluten-free diet since March and he's a new kid!

Nantzie Collaborator

My son has the same thing where it smells kind of chemically. I'm getting him tested through Enterolab, so we'll see if it comes back positive. I also had really horrible chemically smelling poops and gas before I went gluten-free.

I would say gluten intolerance or celiac are definite possibilities. If it's not, then I'd guess it would be a food intolerance of some kind. Digestive problems on that level tend to be a sign that something that you're eating isn't agreeing with you.

Formula feeding doesn't protect against celiac. There was a study a while ago that had to do with not starting solid food (even cereal) until after a certain age (6 months?) in order to protect against celiac.

I had my son on rice cereal in his bottle at just a couple months old because he spit up all the time and I had several experienced moms and grandmas tell me that that might help. (I was only able to breastfeed for about a month and a half because I had to go on pain meds.) It did, but I had no idea that it might increase his chances of celiac, or that I had celiac, or that it even existed at that point.

With your daughter being little for her age too, that's a sign of celiac.

I think there's a good chance you're barking up the right tree.

Welcome to the boards!

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bugsmom Rookie

I have noticed a big difference in the smell with my son, too. We have had a few issues with hidden gluten and he has had some terrible gas and very very smelly diapers. I agree with the rotavirus comparison. It seems very much the same. I actually thought at first that he might have gotten rotavirus again -- but it only lasted for one diaper -- so not rotavirus.

So, yes, gluten in the diet of a kid sensitive to it can make for a much more foul smelling diaper.

Jodele Apprentice

my DD was just dx and she was very small at birth (5lbs 15oz.) and she was 2 weeks overdue. I know she had this problem before birth. I breast feed her. So the gulten I was eating went to her though my milk. She had bad reflux and terible pains. She had bouts of d's but I was told that she was fine and just to check her reflux form time to time. 8yrs later we find out that she has celiac and that is what was wrong in the first place. She is getting better with all her symtoms. I cant wait to see how she will grow now. She so hard to find geans that fit her. long legs and no waist or hips. She wears a 5 slims in the waist and 7 in the legs. Now I know how my mom felt with me. being on the bottle does not mean she is not reacting to the gluten in the milk she drinks. It is a hard dx for little kids. blood work might not show it and even the biopsy might not show anything. My dd did the biopsy and did not show anything but her blood work show she does. The damidge is not there yet or not where they took the biopsy. I have been gluten free for 5 days now and I am feel better than I felt in years. I am not so tired all the time. :) If this make her feel better and grow would that be great. :D I thought that my dd was small because I was small. :unsure: Well she is because of me or my genes. B) But she can be taller than me now. :P My mom had me in to see so many dr. to find out why I was so small. well It took my child to find out what was wrong with me. :P I guess you can say she is my angel. :wub:

I hope this helps. I know how you feel but if you find out this early with her that it will be easier to teach her the right foods she can eat.

Jodele

kculotta Newbie

Again you are all awesome. At least I know if we get the celiac diagnosis that I will have a wonderful place to go online.

I am worried about this whole starting solids thing now. While we had always read start at 6 mos, our ped said if she showed signs of readiness at 4 mos go for it. She hated rice cereal and I doubt we fed her much oatmeal. After 2 weeks rice cereal we went straight to fruits and veggies. I wish I knew what I know now regardless of her ultimate diagnosis.

She did have reflux too as a baby but it was ultimate resolved with zantac and alimentum. At least I assume its resolved. Her constipation has disappeared but we are not sure if its a result of eliminating eggs and milk or being put on lactulose medicine for a couple weeks. Unfortunately they happened at the same time so we don't know. But the odor started after she was no longer constipated. Maybe the allergy was causing constipation which was masking the celiac symptoms somehow. Don't know.

DD will be two in 2 weeks and she is about 20 lbs and 31 inches. She was 6lb 13 oz and 19 1/4" at birth. She has always been in the lower percentiles and continues to grow but her weight is not on the charts. I am 5'5" and dh is 6'2" so we were surprised by her size. However, we both have small relatives in our families, particularly our grandparents. So the possibility of her being petite is still not out of the question.

Stop the madness!!! I just want an answer!!! :rolleyes:

kculotta Newbie

Well we just got the genetic test back--negative for celiac. She does not have the gene. While I am happy to hear that, I can't help but feeling there is still something lurking around the corner :-( Maybe its just related to her allergies. The GI said to see if she eats something with sorbitol---he said food additives can give bms a wierd smell. So I will do what I do best--read food labels!

I must say I have learned a lot about celiac as a result of this and you definitely have my support!!

Archived