Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dragonmom

Holiday Party

Having a Christmas party, I am attempting to make it gluten free. Popular item is cocktailweenies wrapped in like biscuit dough. Has anyone ever attempted to make that gluten-free?

Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

lol! no way! someone coming to my work holiday party (hosted at my house) is bringing pigs in a blanket (I doubt they'll be gluten-free), and I was commenting today that I had never heard of such a thing being a holiday party appetizer! whatdayaknow!?! :D:lol::P

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I make mine with cheese-filled sausages, but I haven't yet found a way to convert them for DD. I'd be very interested in hearing if there is a dough that works as many signs are pointing to the rest of going gluten free very soon!

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

mmm, i miss piggies! my mom always made them with cheese in the middle! i think looking on the forum for a bisquick-like recipe would do...i dunno! i'd love to hear how it goes though!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

mmm, i miss piggies! my mom always made them with cheese in the middle! i think looking on the forum for a bisquick-like recipe would do...i dunno! i'd love to hear how it goes though!

There is a recipe for Phyllo dough in Rebecca Reilly

Thanks for the suggestions, I have some Bob's bisquit dough- or maybe the frozen pizza dough .....will keep trying. I think the pancake pigs sounded really...good :blink:

I have made hotdogs wrapped in gluten-free biscuit dough. They turned out okay - the biggest problem was that the dogs shrunk and the wrapping didn't. Might be easier with cocktail weinies. Here's what I used for the dough.

2 C gluten-free Flour*

1/2 C Butter (I use salted butter - if you use shortening add 1/2 tsp. of salt)

1 Tbs. Baking powder

3/4 C Milk

Sift flour and baking powder together. Cut butter into flour using pastry blender. Make sure the butter is very well mixed in! Add milk and stir until dough forms a ball. Depending on the humidity, you might need a little more, but be careful not to get it too sticky. Roll out to desired thickness (about 3/8", I think is what I did) on a clean "flour sack" type towel, (NOT terry cloth) well floured with rice flour. Cut into desired size and wrap around the dogs.

(You can also mix in some grated cheese and even garlic powder!)

*Flour mix I use:

3 C Brown Rice Flour

1 C Potato Starch

1/2 C Tapioca Starch

2-1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum

Make sure that whatever flour mix you use has xanthan gum in it or the biscuit dough will fall apart.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I used Chebe mix, any one of them would work.. it is a thick dough, and i just simply rolled the little doggies in it and baked. Even my brother (who basically thinks I have an allergy and would have a sneezing fit if I ate gluten) he liked them!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

These are not pigs in a blanket, but a good idea for a party snack:

Gluten Free Corn puppies (mini corn dogs)

1 c. Featherlight mix

DD: gluten-free/casein-free, soy lite, corn lite

Me: Vegan

I always thought they were a ground meat mixture rolled into cabbage leaves and baked in tomato sauce :blink: Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Pigs in a Blanket are little cocktail hot dogs rolled in some type of biscuit dough, to resemble a mini hot dog.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I always thought they were a ground meat mixture rolled into cabbage leaves and baked in tomato sauce :blink: Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

That is my wife's definition, too. What we (my family) called pigs in a blanket when I was growing up was hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls.

That is my wife's definition, too. What we (my family) called pigs in a blanket when I was growing up was hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls.

I've heard multiple things called pigs-in-blankets now, basically small meat pies of some kind-I grew up thinking they were Dutch in origin because I grew up with a bunch of Dutch-Americans who called them saucijzenbroodjes, and it was a big deal at the Tulip festivals they hold in the U.S. But they have a similar type food many places in the world(even a Peruvian restaurant I went to once had something very similar), so I'm not sure where they originated, but the Dutch-American version is ground meat in a roll within a puff pastry type thing.

Having a Christmas party, I am attempting to make it gluten free. Popular item is cocktailweenies wrapped in like biscuit dough. Has anyone ever attempted to make that gluten-free?

What if you wrap them in bacon? We had a party at work and they had these little hotdog things wrapped in bacon.

Hi, I did a dry run and used the biscut dough, they turned out really well, thanks. The mini corn dogs are now on the list of things to try. The dogs wrapped in bacon sound good too, I wrap dates stuffed with montery jack cheese with bacon , sounds odd but tastes good.

Jersey Angel

We must have gone to the same school ,I too say pigs in a blanket is "Halupky" but I think the younger ones say they are the hot dog all wrapped up....

Water Chesnuts wrapped in bacon is a good one too..

mamaw

I used Chebe mix, any one of them would work.. it is a thick dough, and i just simply rolled the little doggies in it and baked. Even my brother (who basically thinks I have an allergy and would have a sneezing fit if I ate gluten) he liked them!

I make them with chebe frozen pizza crust. works great tastes great.