Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random Guy

All-inclusive Resort Riu

I'm going to stay at the RIU all inclusive in Jamaica this week. In the past, when I've been to the Carribean, the food has been generally naturally gluten free.

But I've stayed at very great places (on business) before. This place is not a 5 star hotel.

Anyone ever done an all inclusive?

How did it go?

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've done a cruise a year ago, which was all inclusive. And there they only have what is on board already.

You may have to do what I did. Email them, explain your dietary needs, make absolutely sure they understand, and make them promise that they'll look after you and do their utmost to keep you gluten-free.

Make sure that you explain to them what you CAN eat, not just what you can't eat. That way they understand that it won't be too complicated.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done a cruise a year ago, which was all inclusive. And there they only have what is on board already.

You may have to do what I did. Email them, explain your dietary needs, make absolutely sure they understand, and make them promise that they'll look after you and do their utmost to keep you gluten-free.

Make sure that you explain to them what you CAN eat, not just what you can't eat. That way they understand that it won't be too complicated.

thanks,

yes, I emailed them a little while ago. I should have started checking into this a long time ago. being a procrastinator makes celiac that much more challenging

thanks

I was in Jamaica in March. I got glutened by accident once only, I was staying at the Starfish Trelawny. They had no idea I was coming and that I needed special foods. Each day at that resort lunch and dinner buffet changed but the chefs would take me down the line and tell me what had flour or bread in it and what didn't.

Jerk Chicken and Jerk swordfish is awesome and their fresh fruit is fresh fruit grown there. Not colored globs that look like fruit but don't taste like it that is in the stores here. Make sure you at least try the "dirty banana's" it's a drink. I loved Jamaica and never starved there. Dunns River Falls, Rose Hall and the Appleton tour are the best of the touristy things. Beware of the no seeums they will eat you alive. I suggest Benadryl if you are allergic to mosquitos or noseeum bites.

Have fun, it is terrific there.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.