This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Drew Brees

almostnrn

almostnrn Explorer

My husband found this on CnnSI today and fowarded it to me. It seems like Drew Brees is gluten (amongst other things) intollerent. He should come and join us here on the message board!!

BREES'S DIET: DOs-'N'-DON'Ts

Brees's long list of food allergies includes dairy, wheat, gluten, eggs and nuts. "If I stayed away from everything I'm allergic to, I'd lose 20 pounds," says the 6-foot 209-pounder. "Some are minor allergies, some major. I listen to my body and do the best I can." Here's Brees's diet regimen on a nongame day. He drinks water throughout the day and at meals.

7:30 a.m. Two wheat- and gluten-free waffles or pancakes. Four strips bacon or two links sausage. Side of corn grits or potato hash browns. A peach, pear or four slices of cantaloupe or honeydew.

Mid-morning (postworkout) AdvoCare recovery shake. About 10 ounces and 230 calories, it's vitamin-packed and high in soy protein. He drinks a second shake in the afternoon after the Saints practice.

2 p.m. Grilled chicken breast or grilled redfish fillet with a side of rice or green beans. Or shrimp and sausage gumbo.

7 p.m. "I love the New Orleans flavor," says Brees. "We go out a lot." A typical restaurant order: turtle soup, shrimp r

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Curious about the New Orleans dishes as they are started with a "roux" which is is wheat flour. Can this roux be made with non gluten flour?

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Most of the roux directions that I've seen only say "flour". I have made a roux with gluten-free flour. Its really no different than a substitute for wheat flour used as a thickener in gravy, etc.

debmidge Rising Star

I've tried using rice flour and it didn't work.

The QB is mentioning his "typical restaurant" order and I'm no expert, but I can't imagine the roux in restaurant being made of gluten-free flour. Hope the QB knows this.

happygirl Collaborator

A co-worker of mine showed me that article yesterday....great to see its getting out there!

lonewolf Collaborator
I've tried using rice flour and it didn't work.

Just have to jump in here. What kind of rice flour did you use? I use sweet rice flour and have made a roux several times. Even my mother in law (who lived in New Orleans for a while) thought the gravy was delicious and the texture good.

debmidge Rising Star

I don't recall, it was a few years ago; it could have been Ener-G Brand

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

almostnrn Explorer

I will definately try the sweet rice flour! Are there any special directions for using it. There are a couple of dishes that I have not made in sometime because I couldn't quite get the roux thing worked out and my kids would be extatic to see them return to the menu. As far as all of those yummy dishes our friend Drew is eating down in the big easy...I suppose he isn't just the average joe walking in off the street. Something tells me he has "connections" if you know what I mean! (Especially after the game on Saturday!!!) :lol:

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

if I had known this a few days ago, there might have been some way to get gluten in his food so the Eagles could have beaten the Saints yesterday... though it really would have had to have been mccallister who was the celiac the way he ran all over the birds

on a side note, earlier this year, Bobby Engram (a WR for the seahawks) was diagnosed with Graves disease if I'm not mistaken..

Kayaking Mom Newbie

Have to love a team that has Drew Brees and Reggie Bush both! Go SAINTS!!!

emcmaster Collaborator

We make roux with cornstarch. We cook a lot of cajun food and it works for us.

jerseyangel Proficient

I use potato starch to make a roux--never a problem :)

Interesting about Drew Brees--yes, he should come join us!

debmidge Rising Star

I'll have to try these other options for the roux.

almostnrn Explorer

Me too!!! Thanks everyone. I can't even begin to explain how wonderful it is to eat really tasty food again, however all of this tasty food is making my jeans too tight!!!!

arc Newbie
The QB is mentioning his "typical restaurant" order and I'm no expert, but I can't imagine the roux in restaurant being made of gluten-free flour. Hope the QB knows this.

Did you see what he signed for when he went to the Saints? I doubt he's going to the same restaurants or being treated the same as a normal person off the street would. :lol:

penguin Community Regular

I make roux all the time with my standard blend: rice, potato, and cornstarch. It works beautifully every time.

That's awesome about Drew Brees though!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I'm sure the Chef's at "Commanders Palace" can make him a gluten free jambalaya or gluten free etoufee...

speaking of Roux, would anyone care to contriubute a Gluten Free Gumbo recipe????

Please provude instructions on how to make a suitable roux...

:)

penguin Community Regular
I'm sure the Chef's at "Commanders Palace" can make him a gluten free jambalaya or gluten free etoufee...

speaking of Roux, would anyone care to contriubute a Gluten Free Gumbo recipe????

The only gluteny part of nearly any gumbo recipe is the roux, so substitute accordingly.

a roux is:

1 part flour

to

1 part butter

Melt the butter over medium heat and whisk in the flour, cook, stirring constantly, around 3 minutes or so until you have a hot bubbly paste. Add liquid as called for by the recipe and you're in business!

Bronco, you're basically making gravy whenever you make a roux, if it helps you to think of it that way, since I know you're fond of my chicken fried steak :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

This is the first I heard of the Drew Brees thing, very cool!

almostnrn Explorer

If you go to Foodtv.com Emeril has at least one seafood gumbo that is made without a roux. The one I saw was the episode with Jimmy Buffet and it looked wonderful. We have planned on making it here but I never seem to have the time or all the ingredients, lol. They shouldn't be hard to find on the site, usually the roux is the first thing listed.

par18 Apprentice

Must be a QB thing as Rich Gannon has a child with Celiac/gluten intolerance.

Tom

pinktulip Apprentice
If you go to Foodtv.com Emeril has at least one seafood gumbo that is made without a roux. The one I saw was the episode with Jimmy Buffet and it looked wonderful. We have planned on making it here but I never seem to have the time or all the ingredients, lol. They shouldn't be hard to find on the site, usually the roux is the first thing listed.

My dad made like a gumbo soup. It didn't have the roux and was soup like, but the floving was just like gumbo. I'll see if I can get the recipe, but think he just used the same floving and put them in water or some sort of broth. It was very simple. Made it on his lunch hour.

pinktulip Apprentice

I went to the Whole Foods here in New Orleans on Thursday looking for something quick (I was still in the middle of running errands.) And was looking at their salad and soup bar and the soups are clearly labeled on bottom what is in them. Their chicken and sausage gumbo was gluten free. It contained soy but nothing else and i double checked the ingredients. It was nice and thick like gumbo, not really seasoned that well but I just used some seasoning mix and got it nice and tasty. though i was almost freaking out on the phone with dad I was so excited.

Archived