Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cruelshoes

Grinder That Was Used To Grind Wheat

Pre-celiac disease, I had a years supply of wheat stored. I gave it all away to church members whan I was diagnosed. One thing I have not been able to part with is my electric wheat grinder. It is a Whisper Mill, and I paid $200 for it. I used it A LOT to grind wheat as I was really into baking my own bread with freshly ground whole wheat flour. In retrospect that seems like such a stupid idea. :rolleyes:

My question is this: do you think I could ever get my grinder clean enough to use it for gluten-free grains? It cannot be diassembled. I can clean the chute out with a toothbrush and then run a boatload of cheap rice through it to try to slough off any gluten grains that are remaining. I am having SUCH a hard time getting rid of it since it was so expensive. I have not used it, but I can't let it go. I think the answer is probably no, but I am hoping tha tone of you has a gluten-free magic wand for me.

Thoughts?

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to clean it well enough to be safe. However, you could list it on eBay and then put that money into getting a new one.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004