Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FootballFanatic

I May Be Overprotecting Myself But..

I washed one of my pots that I cook rice in with my family's sponge(used for gluteny things)...(This is the second pot I've done it too)

If I really wash it out well, I've been putting in soap and running hot water into it until it runs clear, then if I scrub it with a gluten free sponge will it be okay to cook in again?

I'm really not sure how sensitively I react to gluten because since going gluten free I have not consuming anything that I read afterwards had gluten in it, so I don't think I've ever eaten straight gluten but I have had a few times when I thought I was contaminated.

The pans are non stick, if that makes a difference

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

10-06 Diagnosed "Acid Reflux" (Nexium didn't work)

12-06 Endoscopy diagnosed Gastritis (Negative Bioposy)

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

1-07 Diagnosed "IBS-C" - Still taking Zelnorm

3-07 HIDA scan to check gallbladder which was fully functional.

3-07 Zelnorm taken off market, started Domperidone

4-21-07 Emergency Appendectomy (FUUUNN!)

7-24-07 Enterolab results came back positive

Gluten Free since that night....

...Still not feeling great.

"Don't expect constant success, but strive for constant growth."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am assuming by non-stick, you mean teflon coated, right? If there are no scratches in the teflon, then it shouldn't be a problem. If there are some scratches in the teflon, then it may be contaminated. I have a stainless steel set that I have had for a long time (before gluten-free) and we don't have a problem. But I gave away all my teflon-coated pans because they were all scratched up.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Join eNewsletter

One thing that can be done with a pot, if it's not something like cast-iron without a coating, is to put it on the stove filled with soapy water, and boil it for awhile, pour off the soapy water, fill with fresh water, boil it again, pour it off, and repeat (more fresh water, more boiling). That should address what's into the surface of the pot, some.

Your question about sponges reminded me of something that crossed my mind as I was cleaning up the kitchen a couple nights ago. I read once that cooties (anything that would make anybody sick; not just gluten) love to live in sponges, and that it's a good thing to replace sponges with new ones often.

My take on that has been to buy packages of multiple sponges...you can buy 6 for about $1.25 or 1.35 U.S. where I live, and change out the sponge weekly. I toss the old sponge in with the towels-wash, and then recycle it into my bucket of old sponges and toothbrushes for things like scrubbing the floor or the bathroom.

The lightbulb that came on a couple of nights ago, is that if something like "the gluten sponge" were regularly replaced with a new sponge, that would automatically be reducing the possibility of glutening in a shared kitchen...you'd be throwing away gluten...

This may be so obvious that it doesn't need to be written up :)

Join eNewsletter

I think that's a good idea Centa. We have gluten so infrequently on our dishes that we just wash and toss the sponge, or I'll wash anything glutened with paper towel really good first and save the sponge. But the basic consensus is that dishes are safe as long as they don't have scratches.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

I think sponges are one of the worst things for holding onto (and therefore breeding) bacteria, any way (not to mention retaining the gluten, I

gluten-free May 17, 2007; casein-light since June 2007

Dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant by Enterolab. Family doc dx'ed "gluten sensitive" after dietary response. DQ 6 & DQ 7

8 year old daughter dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant & malabsorption by Enterolab and has been GFCL since June 12, 2007. Excellent response to diet, including growth! Tummyaches & irritability are gone! DQ 5 & DQ 6

Husband has DQ 5 (elementary, my dear Watson!). Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant by diet response and challenge.

Join eNewsletter

Well I told my mom about it and she wanted me to always be comfortable so we went out and bought a stainless steel set.

I'll go grab some dish towels now because that sounds like a good idea. I've always seen sponges as just little germ holders but I continue to wash my dishes with them.

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

10-06 Diagnosed "Acid Reflux" (Nexium didn't work)

12-06 Endoscopy diagnosed Gastritis (Negative Bioposy)

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

1-07 Diagnosed "IBS-C" - Still taking Zelnorm

3-07 HIDA scan to check gallbladder which was fully functional.

3-07 Zelnorm taken off market, started Domperidone

4-21-07 Emergency Appendectomy (FUUUNN!)

7-24-07 Enterolab results came back positive

Gluten Free since that night....

...Still not feeling great.

"Don't expect constant success, but strive for constant growth."

Join eNewsletter

I think sponges are one of the worst things for holding onto (and therefore breeding) bacteria, any way (not to mention retaining the gluten, I

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Agreed. But I don't use my dishcloth to clean up the counters and stove...that's sponge territory for me...and crumb territory. Can't be too safe.

Another thing that can be done is to run the potscrubber through the dishwasher and toss frequently...it's a collector, too.

And while we're on the subject of gluten but also perhaps other things lurking in cracks, there's that cuttingboard....I bought a new one and frequently run THAT through the dishwasher, too, not for gluten but for the bacteria accumulation.

P.S. I live by myself so it's considerably easier to maintain a gluten free kitchen.

Running a gluten/gluten-free kitchen is more than two times more difficult, or has to be. My admiration to the people who are doing it. I'd be into use and toss more, myself if I were in that situation.

Join eNewsletter

I use paper towels if my counter has crumbs with my kitchen lysol spray. That way i just throw the crumbs in the trash and wash my hands and all is good lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

My late mother used to make dish scrubbers of nylon net (aka tulle) from the fabric store. They were not unlike the poufy things used for applying bodywash in the shower. She tossed them in the washer (if they lasted that long) but air dryed them. They were cheap and easy to make.

Not that anybody has string around the house these days, but she knit dishrags as well from string which also "wash and wear".

Join eNewsletter

My late mother used to make dish scrubbers of nylon net (aka tulle) from the fabric store. They were not unlike the poufy things used for applying bodywash in the shower.

:) I remember seeing these...your mom was a resourceful lady, ISG...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter