Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sister golden hair

Dusted!

Has anyone had this happen to them? I was baking choc. chip cookies for my boyfriend, you know the kind we all miss with all that bad gluten in them, anyway I was drinking a cup of coffee while doing so. I became really sick later that evening. I am wondering if because flour is so dusty if it could have flown into my coffee at some point while using the mixer. What do you think. I am just getting ready to have a genetic blood test done but thougt I have been gluten free for at least 3 years but now I have to wonder!!!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's never happened to me, but this is the reason why I refuse to have wheat flour in my house. No matter how careful you are, that stuff gets all over the place! It's nearly impossible to clean up.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

I've heard of people reacting to wheat flour in the air. It gets breathed in and ingested that way. I suppose it could have been in your coffee as well, but I think the air is sufficient.

When one uses a mixer, the flour does fly into the air. Also, the flour could have gotten on your fingers as you baked and cleaned up and you inadvertently touched your mouth or whatever before thoroughly washing your hands. I won't bake with the gluteny stuff anymore just to be safe. My relatives are going to have to make my signature Thanksgiving dessert for themselves from now on if they want it.

I hope you get feeling better.

Just curious -- why are you getting genetic testing now, if you've been gluten-free for 3 years? Obviously you have reacted positively to the diet. If one believes Dr. Fine of Enterolab, at least, about every gene out there except one usually found in Asians is either a celiac gene or a gluten intolerance gene. You have to have more than the genes to know if gluten is a problem. Since you have been gluten-free for 3 years, I don't know that any test can tell you that. Unless you go back on gluten ...

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

I've heard of people reacting to wheat flour in the air. It gets breathed in and ingested that way. I suppose it could have been in your coffee as well, but I think the air is sufficient.

When one uses a mixer, the flour does fly into the air. Also, the flour could have gotten on your fingers as you baked and cleaned up and you inadvertently touched your mouth or whatever before thoroughly washing your hands. I won't bake with the gluteny stuff anymore just to be safe. My relatives are going to have to make my signature Thanksgiving dessert for themselves from now on if they want it.

I hope you get feeling better.

Just curious -- why are you getting genetic testing now, if you've been gluten-free for 3 years? Obviously you have reacted positively to the diet. If one believes Dr. Fine of Enterolab, at least, about every gene out there except one usually found in Asians is either a celiac gene or a gluten intolerance gene. You have to have more than the genes to know if gluten is a problem. Since you have been gluten-free for 3 years, I don't know that any test can tell you that. Unless you go back on gluten ...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter