Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taweavmo3

Suggesting Celiac Testing For Others?

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here, lol.

I am struggling with a situation, and I'm curious how you all would handle it. I work in a children's hospital, and in the past have come across patients of mine who I think would really benefit from at least being tested for Celiac. I had one today that really troubled me, b/c this young girl's entire life was on hold b/c of debilitating symptoms. And she wasn't getting any answers at all.....even the GI docs basically said they didn't know what was wrong with her. SO, I couldn't leave without telling her mother about Celiac. I tried explaining it, but it's difficult explaining Celiac in a brief five minute encounter. Anyway, the mother mentioned it to the doctor, who said that testing for Celiac would have been included in the IBD antibody test. I didn't know enough about testing for IBD to say much more, I just mentioned that doing some research about Celiac might help her find some answers.

My first priority are my patients of course, but I was a little worried the doc would come questioning me about telling HIS patient what they needed to test for! I think you all know how some doctors can be, lol. I would like to keep my job, but it is so hard to just watch some kids suffer w/out at least mentioning Celiac.

How do you all handle approaching other people (especially parents of sick children) about being tested for Celiac? I'm finding it to be a little tricky, b/c some might get offended. But at the same time, I always wished someone had mentioned it to me so I didn't have to go searching for answers on the internet. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe you could find some information in an easy to read format and print it out for them to read in their spare time. One thing I found quickly was:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/ho...orders/236.html

Also something listing which blood tests are in the Celiac blood panal (for those doctors who are clueless).

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter