Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KayKay

Help With Test Results!

I recently had bloodwork and endoscopy/biopsy done and received results saying everything was normal,except a little anemic.I have been gluten-free for almost three weeks and feelin a little better. Here are my test results-

Transglutaminase AB IGA - result <3 negative is <5

Immoglobulin A- result 211 normal is 81-463

Anti-gliadin IGA <3 normal is <11

Anti-gliadin IGG <3 normal is <11

The biopsies were from the small bowel(4 samples) and gastric antum(3 samples) Results say no diagnostic abnormalities and normal length villa.

Am I correct that a anti-endomysial antibody and total IGA should have been done?And they can't be done unlees I start eating gluten again? I'm so disgusted with doctors right now. How can a GI doctor not know which tests to run when can look online and find out?!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I recently had bloodwork and endoscopy/biopsy done and received results saying everything was normal,except a little anemic.I have been gluten-free for almost three weeks and feelin a little better. Here are my test results-

Transglutaminase AB IGA - result <3 negative is <5

Immoglobulin A- result 211 normal is 81-463

Anti-gliadin IGA <3 normal is <11

Anti-gliadin IGG <3 normal is <11

The biopsies were from the small bowel(4 samples) and gastric antum(3 samples) Results say no diagnostic abnormalities and normal length villa.

Am I correct that a anti-endomysial antibody and total IGA should have been done?And they can't be done unlees I start eating gluten again? I'm so disgusted with doctors right now. How can a GI doctor not know which tests to run when can look online and find out?!!!

Ideally your doc could have done the EMA (anti- endomysial antibody) in conjunction with the other tests (looks like your Immunoglobulin A result listed is your total IGA) ...but being as your biopsy was negative it's very unlikely your doc would give you a diagnosis of celiac disease.

As you say you are gluten-free and feeling a bit better why not just stick with it? :)

There are many people here who do not have an 'official' diagnosis but know they feel better gluten-free.

Good Luck :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

there isn't a "obvious one set of tests" that all doctors agree on for celiac disease. you got a fairly thorough testing. the EMA is on it's way out as a test for celiac, and that "Immoglobulin A" test is likely a total IgA test. What seems missing is a tTg, but you can still get a decent story from 80% of the pages of a book, and this one is saying that you don't have diagnostically discernable celiac.

If you feel better gluten free, however, there's nothing that says you can't stay gluten free! :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA