Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

home_based_mom

Trader Joe's Gets It!

BTW: On the W. Coast they have a flyer listing all their gluten free products located on a display. Those of you on the E. Coast might want to look for that flyer. They do mix all their gluten free stuff in with the gluten stuff so it can be hard to spot.

I'll have to ask for that flyer next time I am in there....I've been in there several times and poured through each aisle - literally stood there and scanned the shelves to the point like I appeared to be a distributor searching for a place to put their products....if gluten-free foods are in there they are in hiding. But the wine dept. is huge!

Someone wrote that there was no TJs in PHilly. And I think another person responded, but here is a PA list:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;om=1&z=7

Also, the Florham Park NJ TJs is awesome. TJ brand soups are wonderful and gluten free. There are so gluten-free taquitos at this TJ, and a wonderful Cheesecake like frozen

dessert. Just ask them to print out a sheet of gluten-free products for there store. Ours has about 6-7 pages of products. :)

Well, I guess I am about as east coast as you can get here on Long Island and I am very disappointed in Trader Joe's. The gluten free items are very few and far apart here in our stores. I am not sure how many stores there are on the island, I have been to 2 different one's, on ein Commack and one in the Smithtown area, over that way anyways. The Commack store is nicer, but I am not thrilled with either. I never like when they mix the gluten free food in with the non gluten free food and I find that often too. I asked about ricecakes there, pathetic!

I have not been to Whole Foods yet. I think there is a new one in Stony Brook, if it has opened.

The Trader Joe's in Plainview has a decent selection of gluten-free stuff. However, if you're going to drive all the way out to Plainview (it sounds like you're in Suffolk County?) you may just want to head to Fairway- they have an awesome collection of gluten-free products! I do most of my shopping there, but for the few items TJ's carries, it's cheaper than Fairway.

Here's what I get at Trader Joe's:

almond meal

assorted nuts for snacking on

ginger snaps (not always in my budget, but always on the shelf)

rice cakes (used to buy them at Fairway but I just saw them at TJ's today for less than I've been spending)

milk, eggs, butter, cheeses, some fresh veggies

coconut milk

tuna

rice pasta

tomato sauce

baking yeast

mayo

(they carry the gluten-free brownie mix but that's not in my budget)

At Fairway, I get xanthan gum and rice flour,(plus kosher meats, kosher grape juice, fresh produce, frozen lemon juice, assorted junk for my kids....) but there are TONS of prepared foods and mixes available- but I keep it simple and less expensive by buying just the basics.

I also get baking powder, corn starch, sugar, etc. at whatever store I'm in when I realize I'm running low.

Hi Jerseygrl

I think I said i didn't live in philly but thought there was one there.

thanks so much for the map. it will help alot of folks. that was kind of you

I think the BIG PROBLEM for me in Media is that this store is small.........most of the gluten-free foods have soy which i can't have and the gluten-free products that are there are very slim from what they used to carry and ...........most say 'processed in a plant that bla bla bla. These just aren't safe for me.

My store used to carry the print outs.

Now they do not.

The people who were so helpful have been transfered out to Devon etc.

They have stated that gluten-free just isn't in demand there............

well since they have the best prices, i'm forced to shop at the health food stores and pay the big $$.

I've taken in the web site lists and they aren't in the store. I've pleaded to please add more gluten-free free but the management just isn't interested and I'm tired of calling corporate.

So I've given it a good shot and just not willing to keep knocking my head against the wall till they get a new manager.

thanks again for the post.

might try some other stores with a bigger stock.

The 'disclaimer' on the products is a big problem for me, i must say again.

judy

Just saw gluten-free brownie mix for first time in CT Trader Joe's (very tasty, subbed butter for oil & whole milk for water, yum).

Westport CT store seems to be gradually adding or at least highlighting gluten-free items. In general their allergy labeling is pretty comprehensive, usually mentions what the plant processes & what else is processed on the same equipment.

Our local grocery store now has a gluten-free section within its recently expanded natural foods aisle - WholeFoods is building a new store nearby, guess they're getting ready? Our independent local health food store, Mrs. Green's, has the widest selection of gluten-free (especially if measured relatively to size of store!)

Also at Trader Joe's several (but not all) of the Indian pre-cooked side dishes seem to be gluten-free -- no wheat/barley/rye ingredients, not made in a plant that processes wheat, no reaction from me after eating :)

Trader Joe's always has the best snacks... filled with Gluten or not! LOL B)

:( I saw this and figured you guys were in CA.................Boo Hoo............The east coast just doesn't get the great products you do.......... but happy for you.....

Judy in Philly

[/quote

I live on the east coast as well. I emailed trader joes about 2 months ago, looking for their brown rice flour tortillas, they first said they would forward the email on to the buyer in mass, then i called and was told i need to call my local tj's and keep requesting it. tuesday's they put in their request from shoppers for stuff added to the store. i just received the tj's flyer for winter 2008 and they added the gluten free brownie mix. in my area,it's a start. today i was told by the store manager we need alot of people on the east coast requesting certain items and they will purchase them. i am asking my friends and family to nag my local tj's. i have two in my area. so maybe if everyone on the east coast wants the same goods as the gals in the CA we have to keep calling. good luck.

Whole Foods is ok. Only been to the one down on Lancaster Ave in Devon/Wayne. Overcrowded and hate having to hunt for my products. Its fun if you want to combine bumper cars with a scavenger hunt. Want to check out the one in Montgomeryville to see if its any better.

I go to the WF in Montgomeryville--it's very nice :)

One of the things I like about TJs is that a lot of their sauces and stuff are gluten-free. They don't necessarily say so yet (they are on the gluten-free list that you can get at the front desk) but TJs is also starting to label all the gluten-free stuff with a G dot on the label (like Wegmann's does). So I can buy the piccatta simmer sauce, for example. Most places would have wheat in something like that.

The other thing I like is giving hubby the list and having him bring stuff home from work! B)

BTW, the granola is too sweet for me, but I mix it with Mesa Sunrise corn/amaranth/flax flakes (from Whole Foods) and that makes a great breakfast.

The brownies are sitting in the kitchen ready to be made. After reading here, I'll try the butter instead of oil.

Zansu

Are you also soy free?

I should have looked to see if you put it in your profile...sorry

I found there is so much soy in alot of their products.

I did just get my TJ flyer in the mail and say 2 gluten-free products.

will have to look at the ingred.......does the brownie mix have soy flour?

Do they say they are dedicated lines?

Thanks Judy

Last time I was at my TJ (in Michigan) I found gluten-free Tirimisu and Chocolate Torte!! They are in the desert freezer section. I bought one of each and they are waiting for the perfect moment... anyone want to come over for desert??? :lol:

Hi there-

I actually just had Trader Joe's new gluten-free brownie mix. SO GOOD, definitely buy the mix and make it asap.

Kristin

B) I got my latest Trader Joe's "Fearless Flyer" in the mail today. There are four - count them - FOUR gluten free items featured throughout the pages!

1. Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
  2. Homestyle Pancakes (also dairy-free!)
  3. Gluten Free Brownie Mix
  4. Flourless Chocolate Walnut Cookies

All describe how yummy they are and flaunt that they are gluten-free!

Take THAT, wheat-obsessed world! :lol:

To those of you who got the products, can you see if they have soy or dairy......know one was dairy free........

thanks Judy

The peanut butter cookie dough has dairy and eggs but no soy, but the chocolate walnut ones don't have dairy or soy. They do have egg whites, I think. The pancakes have soy. My Trader Joe's in Oregon (I live within walking distance--lucky!) also has a very decent gluten-free rice bread at a good price--makes good toast. They also have a good price on dairy free dark chocolate and a new line of store brand rice milk.

Brownie mix is dairy, soy, peanut, tree nut, corn and wheat free.

thanks so very much

will ck it out.

judy

It appears the East coast is catching up. I know when I was in TJ's a few months ago the selection wasn't great.

I went last week and was able to get the cookies, pancakes, waffles, brownie mix, chips, and a bunch of other stuff, including the french rolls ( which have become my sons favorite)

This was paramas nj