Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

home_based_mom

Trader Joe's Gets It!

B) I got my latest Trader Joe's "Fearless Flyer" in the mail today. There are four - count them - FOUR gluten free items featured throughout the pages!

1. Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
  2. Homestyle Pancakes (also dairy-free!)
  3. Gluten Free Brownie Mix
  4. Flourless Chocolate Walnut Cookies

All describe how yummy they are and flaunt that they are gluten-free!

Take THAT, wheat-obsessed world! :lol:

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The pancakes are very good - I used to eat them before I went soy & egg free.

My daughter adores them, which is good since she'll probably being going gluten free soon.

I tried the brownie mix last weekend, using Ener-G egg replacer too. The flavor was great, but after

they cooled they were SO hard to chew. And I think the recipe calls for too much oil too, as they

were very oily on the bottoms & tops. But, the chocolate flavor was GREAT!

Hooray for Trader Joe's!

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07

Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07

Casein free 8/27/07

Soy & egg free 9/8/07

Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09

Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

Join eNewsletter

:( I saw this and figured you guys were in CA.................Boo Hoo............The east coast just doesn't get the great products you do.......... but happy for you.....

Judy in Philly

Judy in Southern CA

Join eNewsletter

We have been eating the Peanut Butter Cookies for months --- they are AWESOME. Better right out of the oven than saved but since they are 12 separate cookies... it is easy just to bake what you want.

Anyone tried the walnut cookies? what section are they in?

B) I got my latest Trader Joe's "Fearless Flyer" in the mail today. There are four - count them - FOUR gluten free items featured throughout the pages!

Join eNewsletter

:( I saw this and figured you guys were in CA.................Boo Hoo............The east coast just doesn't get the great products you do.......... but happy for you.....

Judy in Philly

Judy

I am glad you said this because I constantly go into Trader Joe's and feel like I am missing the aisle which has these products....I thought it was me this whole time. It must be that our TJ's do not stock the gluten-free merchandise (I'm in NJ).

Deb

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

Okay where were the cookies located????

I cooked the brownie mix last night. For only $2.99 it was great! I added ground flax seed, gluten-free oats, chocolate chips, walnuts, peanut butter chips, applesauce instead of oil and threw in a little coconut. Very good and I like the multi-grain texture. This way I can convince myself they are almost health food. :)

Join eNewsletter

Judy

I am glad you said this because I constantly go into Trader Joe's and feel like I am missing the aisle which has these products....I thought it was me this whole time. It must be that our TJ's do not stock the gluten-free merchandise (I'm in NJ).Deb

HI DEB

I'm glad you wrote too.

If you pull up the gluten-free TJ's east and west coast lists on line it's amazing the difference

When i first stated gluten-free over 2 1/2 years ago..........i couldn't have done it with out my chiro and TJ telling me what to buy

I've seen our local managers keep changing and less and less gluten-free products on the shelf and less knowledge of training of employees. Some don't know gluten-free at all now. They were saying it's not big sellers. AMAZING................ i DON'T go as much as i used to. Do you go to whole foods?

i haven't been there yet but go to Wegmanns on occasion.

there is one health food store that is trying to bring in foods for me. The other HF store..has allot of gluten free foods but the mark up in price is just obscene.

Judy in Southern CA

Join eNewsletter

The Tj's in Pittsburgh has a fairly nice gluten-free list. Judy I would have thought Philly would be better but i guess not.......

I wondered if I should have put Philly b/c I really live in a suburb Media and we have a little tiny TJ's there may be a big one in Philly itself. sorry i miss lead you.

When i went to CA around Long Beach somewhere........we went to a huge one with so many gluten-free products.........wow the difference.

Judy in Southern CA

Join eNewsletter

Did you happen to notice the "Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis?"

One part potato, one part corn, one part brown rice, and all parts flavorful

They're also gluten free and low in sodium.

I haven't tried them, but they sound "interesting"

Cindy

Gluten Free since November 2006

Lactose Intolerant since 1980

100% Lactose Free since May 2006

Caffeine Free since August 2007

Hashimoto's Disease

Join eNewsletter

Did you happen to notice the "Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis?"

One part potato, one part corn, one part brown rice, and all parts flavorful

They're also gluten free and low in sodium.

I haven't tried them, but they sound "interesting"

I've had the Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis. Like them a lot! They seem to have a hint of sweetness for my taste, but my brother who can eat any thing said they "taste like normal chips".

Join eNewsletter

Anyone tried the walnut cookies? what section are they in?

I actually just ate one. They are really good! You can find them in the baked good section right next to the gluteny cookies.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

The chocolate walnut cookies are great..I also use them for pie crusts :P

Good idea!!! :D

The walnut cookies are REALLY good, in my opinion. They'd be even better with no eggs though, lol. :lol:

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

HI DEB

I'm glad you wrote too.

If you pull up the gluten-free TJ's east and west coast lists on line it's amazing the difference

When i first stated gluten-free over 2 1/2 years ago..........i couldn't have done it with out my chiro and TJ telling me what to buy

I've seen our local managers keep changing and less and less gluten-free products on the shelf and less knowledge of training of employees. Some don't know gluten-free at all now. They were saying it's not big sellers. AMAZING................ i DON'T go as much as i used to. Do you go to whole foods?

i haven't been there yet but go to Wegmanns on occasion.

there is one health food store that is trying to bring in foods for me. The other HF store..has allot of gluten free foods but the mark up in price is just obscene.

ah! The Whole Foods nearest me is actually gearing up to relocate about a mile closer to me to a bigger facility. But this is making it so that there's less stock to choose from. They keep rotating the gluten-free with normal gluten products. Then I'll go back months later after I found somwhere else to buy it from, and "poof" they have it again...I can't count on them for consistency. I still do too much internet buying of my dry goods. WF barely have any gluten-free frozen foods - like Amy's stuff & other newer stuff. The next Whole Foods to me is a 40 minute drive. I'd go, but my husband shakes his head "no." Wegman's is a 40 minute drive in the opposite direction. Trader Joe's is a joke unless you want wine and gluteny bread and cheese and frozen gluteny Hors' oderves for 100 people.

I am in area of state that has no new construction (unless it's for a hardware store - you know what I mean ;) ) No new stores like Kohl's or even some of those restauants with gluten free food.

I think there's two dynamics going on here: 1) We are too close to NYC so land outside of the inner city area is too expensive and no one wants to invest that kind of money in a store if it isn't a sure thing, and 2) I am too close to 2 inner cities and crime is another issue. Whole Foods isn't taking a gamble because they have a built-up clientele and that small store is always crowded. But WF has no competition in our area...I'd love Wild Oats to open shop in northern Union County and give WF a run for their money...

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

Look for the Trader Joe's brand Gluten Free Granolas too. They have 3, Cranberry Maple Nut, Loaded Fruit & Nut, and a Tropical Fruit and Nut. I like the maple best, the others have some coconut that I am not as fond of as a flavor. These are also dairy free. I was shocked when I wandered through the cereals aisle and found these.

Join eNewsletter

Well, I guess I am about as east coast as you can get here on Long Island and I am very disappointed in Trader Joe's. The gluten free items are very few and far apart here in our stores. I am not sure how many stores there are on the island, I have been to 2 different one's, on ein Commack and one in the Smithtown area, over that way anyways. The Commack store is nicer, but I am not thrilled with either. I never like when they mix the gluten free food in with the non gluten free food and I find that often too. I asked about ricecakes there, pathetic!

I have not been to Whole Foods yet. I think there is a new one in Stony Brook, if it has opened.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

I am in area of state that has no new construction (unless it's for a hardware store - you know what I mean ;) ) No new stores like Kohl's or even some of those restauants with gluten free food.

I think there's two dynamics going on here: 1) We are too close to NYC so land outside of the inner city area is too expensive and no one wants to invest that kind of money in a store if it isn't a sure thing, and 2) I am too close to 2 inner cities and crime is another issue. Whole Foods isn't taking a gamble because they have a built-up clientele and that small store is always crowded. But WF has no competition in our area...I'd love Wild Oats to open shop in northern Union County and give WF a run for their money...

I am in the same boat as you, location wise. The new stores they are building are Targets or things like that. We just got a Wegmans in the fall. Thankfully I had been to other ones. But the nearest Whole Foods or Trader Joes is near Philly which is almost 2 hours from me depending. I have been to Whole Foods in Baltimore before, the parking was horrible and the in store experience was worse.....two many shoppers not enough room and no one was very polite. It was very overwhelming for a new person. I really enjoyed their gluten Free Bake House products but with gas being sky-high it is not worth the drive.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

But WF has no competition in our area...I'd love Wild Oats to open shop in northern Union County and give WF a run for their money...

Don't hold your breath, Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats. Last time I was in our Wild Oats, I noticed new signage that had both names.

I'm in the midwest . . . I've heard people raving about TJ's on this sight. The one that is closest to me (about a 25 minute drive) is very disappointing. I can't find anything. Last time I was there, I only bought four things. It wasn't worth the drive . . . so apparently we're hanging with the east coast crowd as far as selection/variety goes.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

I wondered if I should have put Philly b/c I really live in a suburb Media and we have a little tiny TJ's there may be a big one in Philly itself. sorry i miss lead you.

When i went to CA around Long Beach somewhere........we went to a huge one with so many gluten-free products.........wow the difference.

The TJs in Devon has a pretty good selection. At least they did. Haven't been there in awhile. You might try there.

Kimberton Whole Foods (not the same as Whole Foods) has a really good selection of gluten-free products and they're very gluten knowledgable. They even color-code the price tags on the shelves to indicate whether a product contains gluten or not.

Whole Foods is ok. Only been to the one down on Lancaster Ave in Devon/Wayne. Overcrowded and hate having to hunt for my products. Its fun if you want to combine bumper cars with a scavenger hunt. Want to check out the one in Montgomeryville to see if its any better.

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

Join eNewsletter

Whole Foods is ok. Only been to the one down on Lancaster Ave in Devon/Wayne. Overcrowded and hate having to hunt for my products. Its fun if you want to combine bumper cars with a scavenger hunt. Want to check out the one in Montgomeryville to see if its any better.

The bumper car analogy pretty much sums up how I felt at the Baltimore Whole Foods. I guess I had the wrong idea going into the store. I expected it to be like health food stores around me or like Wegmans in the sense it would have its own little gluten free area....and that was not the case. So when I couldn't find anything and people were pretty rude that I was in the way...clearly I was lost!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

Slllluuurrrrrrp! Those pancakes are GREAT! They are my new bestest favouritest food. Here comes the sugar wagon! I quit eating pancakes years ago when I found out I was hypoglycemic but I picked up TJ's frozen pancakes and they sat in my freezer and I finally tried them lately and now I'm out and going to get more before our snowstorm (Chicago) moves in full blast today. And I nuke them,not a toaster. Well, lots of sugar with the cakes and syrup but hey, they've got 5 (count them!)

grams of protein per serving. Our TJ's in Batavia,Il didn't have the choc/walnut cookies last time I checked. They keep the gluten-free ginger cookies (which I love) on the shelf above the fridge and freezer sections, not in a special cooky section. I am enthused that TJ's seems to be picking up again on the gluten-free stuff, after putting all of their disclaimers on other stuff.....I'm not willing to chance eating items that are made on the same equip as wheat items. Okay, I'm done! Yall have a great day! Angel

Join eNewsletter

TJ has stock that comes and goes. Some of it is seasonal, some is just part of their normal business cycle. I always try to stock up when I find something I really, really like.

BTW: On the W. Coast they have a flyer listing all their gluten free products located on a display. Those of you on the E. Coast might want to look for that flyer. They do mix all their gluten free stuff in with the gluten stuff so it can be hard to spot.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter