This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trader Joe's Gets It!

home-based-mom

home-based-mom Contributor

B) I got my latest Trader Joe's "Fearless Flyer" in the mail today. There are four - count them - FOUR gluten free items featured throughout the pages!

1. Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
  2. Homestyle Pancakes (also dairy-free!)
  3. Gluten Free Brownie Mix
  4. Flourless Chocolate Walnut Cookies

All describe how yummy they are and flaunt that they are gluten-free!

Take THAT, wheat-obsessed world! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

horsegirl Enthusiast

The pancakes are very good - I used to eat them before I went soy & egg free.

My daughter adores them, which is good since she'll probably being going gluten free soon.

I tried the brownie mix last weekend, using Ener-G egg replacer too. The flavor was great, but after

they cooled they were SO hard to chew. And I think the recipe calls for too much oil too, as they

were very oily on the bottoms & tops. But, the chocolate flavor was GREAT!

Hooray for Trader Joe's!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

:( I saw this and figured you guys were in CA.................Boo Hoo............The east coast just doesn't get the great products you do.......... but happy for you.....

Judy in Philly

pixiechixs Newbie

We have been eating the Peanut Butter Cookies for months --- they are AWESOME. Better right out of the oven than saved but since they are 12 separate cookies... it is easy just to bake what you want.

Anyone tried the walnut cookies? what section are they in?

B) I got my latest Trader Joe's "Fearless Flyer" in the mail today. There are four - count them - FOUR gluten free items featured throughout the pages!

debmidge Rising Star
:( I saw this and figured you guys were in CA.................Boo Hoo............The east coast just doesn't get the great products you do.......... but happy for you.....

Judy in Philly

Judy

I am glad you said this because I constantly go into Trader Joe's and feel like I am missing the aisle which has these products....I thought it was me this whole time. It must be that our TJ's do not stock the gluten-free merchandise (I'm in NJ).

Deb

JENinMICH Newbie

Okay where were the cookies located????

I cooked the brownie mix last night. For only $2.99 it was great! I added ground flax seed, gluten-free oats, chocolate chips, walnuts, peanut butter chips, applesauce instead of oil and threw in a little coconut. Very good and I like the multi-grain texture. This way I can convince myself they are almost health food. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy

I am glad you said this because I constantly go into Trader Joe's and feel like I am missing the aisle which has these products....I thought it was me this whole time. It must be that our TJ's do not stock the gluten-free merchandise (I'm in NJ).Deb

HI DEB

I'm glad you wrote too.

If you pull up the gluten-free TJ's east and west coast lists on line it's amazing the difference

When i first stated gluten-free over 2 1/2 years ago..........i couldn't have done it with out my chiro and TJ telling me what to buy

I've seen our local managers keep changing and less and less gluten-free products on the shelf and less knowledge of training of employees. Some don't know gluten-free at all now. They were saying it's not big sellers. AMAZING................ i DON'T go as much as i used to. Do you go to whole foods?

i haven't been there yet but go to Wegmanns on occasion.

there is one health food store that is trying to bring in foods for me. The other HF store..has allot of gluten free foods but the mark up in price is just obscene.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

The Tj's in Pittsburgh has a fairly nice gluten-free list. Judy I would have thought Philly would be better but i guess not.......

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

we dont have any near Harrisburg.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
The Tj's in Pittsburgh has a fairly nice gluten-free list. Judy I would have thought Philly would be better but i guess not.......

I wondered if I should have put Philly b/c I really live in a suburb Media and we have a little tiny TJ's there may be a big one in Philly itself. sorry i miss lead you.

When i went to CA around Long Beach somewhere........we went to a huge one with so many gluten-free products.........wow the difference.

I just think my area is left in the cold....

Cynbd Contributor

Did you happen to notice the "Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis?"

One part potato, one part corn, one part brown rice, and all parts flavorful

They're also gluten free and low in sodium.

I haven't tried them, but they sound "interesting"

hippiegirl2001 Newbie
Did you happen to notice the "Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis?"

One part potato, one part corn, one part brown rice, and all parts flavorful

They're also gluten free and low in sodium.

I haven't tried them, but they sound "interesting"

I've had the Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis. Like them a lot! They seem to have a hint of sweetness for my taste, but my brother who can eat any thing said they "taste like normal chips".

Mango04 Enthusiast
Anyone tried the walnut cookies? what section are they in?

I actually just ate one. They are really good! You can find them in the baked good section right next to the gluteny cookies.

babinsky Apprentice

The chocolate walnut cookies are great..I also use them for pie crusts :P

confusedks Enthusiast
The chocolate walnut cookies are great..I also use them for pie crusts :P

Good idea!!! :D

The walnut cookies are REALLY good, in my opinion. They'd be even better with no eggs though, lol. :lol:

debmidge Rising Star
HI DEB

I'm glad you wrote too.

If you pull up the gluten-free TJ's east and west coast lists on line it's amazing the difference

When i first stated gluten-free over 2 1/2 years ago..........i couldn't have done it with out my chiro and TJ telling me what to buy

I've seen our local managers keep changing and less and less gluten-free products on the shelf and less knowledge of training of employees. Some don't know gluten-free at all now. They were saying it's not big sellers. AMAZING................ i DON'T go as much as i used to. Do you go to whole foods?

i haven't been there yet but go to Wegmanns on occasion.

there is one health food store that is trying to bring in foods for me. The other HF store..has allot of gluten free foods but the mark up in price is just obscene.

ah! The Whole Foods nearest me is actually gearing up to relocate about a mile closer to me to a bigger facility. But this is making it so that there's less stock to choose from. They keep rotating the gluten-free with normal gluten products. Then I'll go back months later after I found somwhere else to buy it from, and "poof" they have it again...I can't count on them for consistency. I still do too much internet buying of my dry goods. WF barely have any gluten-free frozen foods - like Amy's stuff & other newer stuff. The next Whole Foods to me is a 40 minute drive. I'd go, but my husband shakes his head "no." Wegman's is a 40 minute drive in the opposite direction. Trader Joe's is a joke unless you want wine and gluteny bread and cheese and frozen gluteny Hors' oderves for 100 people.

I am in area of state that has no new construction (unless it's for a hardware store - you know what I mean ;) ) No new stores like Kohl's or even some of those restauants with gluten free food.

I think there's two dynamics going on here: 1) We are too close to NYC so land outside of the inner city area is too expensive and no one wants to invest that kind of money in a store if it isn't a sure thing, and 2) I am too close to 2 inner cities and crime is another issue. Whole Foods isn't taking a gamble because they have a built-up clientele and that small store is always crowded. But WF has no competition in our area...I'd love Wild Oats to open shop in northern Union County and give WF a run for their money...

TimSpfd Newbie

Look for the Trader Joe's brand Gluten Free Granolas too. They have 3, Cranberry Maple Nut, Loaded Fruit & Nut, and a Tropical Fruit and Nut. I like the maple best, the others have some coconut that I am not as fond of as a flavor. These are also dairy free. I was shocked when I wandered through the cereals aisle and found these.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well, I guess I am about as east coast as you can get here on Long Island and I am very disappointed in Trader Joe's. The gluten free items are very few and far apart here in our stores. I am not sure how many stores there are on the island, I have been to 2 different one's, on ein Commack and one in the Smithtown area, over that way anyways. The Commack store is nicer, but I am not thrilled with either. I never like when they mix the gluten free food in with the non gluten free food and I find that often too. I asked about ricecakes there, pathetic!

I have not been to Whole Foods yet. I think there is a new one in Stony Brook, if it has opened.

I am in area of state that has no new construction (unless it's for a hardware store - you know what I mean ;) ) No new stores like Kohl's or even some of those restauants with gluten free food.

I think there's two dynamics going on here: 1) We are too close to NYC so land outside of the inner city area is too expensive and no one wants to invest that kind of money in a store if it isn't a sure thing, and 2) I am too close to 2 inner cities and crime is another issue. Whole Foods isn't taking a gamble because they have a built-up clientele and that small store is always crowded. But WF has no competition in our area...I'd love Wild Oats to open shop in northern Union County and give WF a run for their money...

I am in the same boat as you, location wise. The new stores they are building are Targets or things like that. We just got a Wegmans in the fall. Thankfully I had been to other ones. But the nearest Whole Foods or Trader Joes is near Philly which is almost 2 hours from me depending. I have been to Whole Foods in Baltimore before, the parking was horrible and the in store experience was worse.....two many shoppers not enough room and no one was very polite. It was very overwhelming for a new person. I really enjoyed their gluten Free Bake House products but with gas being sky-high it is not worth the drive.

Darn210 Enthusiast
But WF has no competition in our area...I'd love Wild Oats to open shop in northern Union County and give WF a run for their money...

Don't hold your breath, Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats. Last time I was in our Wild Oats, I noticed new signage that had both names.

I'm in the midwest . . . I've heard people raving about TJ's on this sight. The one that is closest to me (about a 25 minute drive) is very disappointing. I can't find anything. Last time I was there, I only bought four things. It wasn't worth the drive . . . so apparently we're hanging with the east coast crowd as far as selection/variety goes.

Nyxie63 Apprentice
I wondered if I should have put Philly b/c I really live in a suburb Media and we have a little tiny TJ's there may be a big one in Philly itself. sorry i miss lead you.

When i went to CA around Long Beach somewhere........we went to a huge one with so many gluten-free products.........wow the difference.

The TJs in Devon has a pretty good selection. At least they did. Haven't been there in awhile. You might try there.

Kimberton Whole Foods (not the same as Whole Foods) has a really good selection of gluten-free products and they're very gluten knowledgable. They even color-code the price tags on the shelves to indicate whether a product contains gluten or not.

Whole Foods is ok. Only been to the one down on Lancaster Ave in Devon/Wayne. Overcrowded and hate having to hunt for my products. Its fun if you want to combine bumper cars with a scavenger hunt. Want to check out the one in Montgomeryville to see if its any better.

Whole Foods is ok. Only been to the one down on Lancaster Ave in Devon/Wayne. Overcrowded and hate having to hunt for my products. Its fun if you want to combine bumper cars with a scavenger hunt. Want to check out the one in Montgomeryville to see if its any better.

The bumper car analogy pretty much sums up how I felt at the Baltimore Whole Foods. I guess I had the wrong idea going into the store. I expected it to be like health food stores around me or like Wegmans in the sense it would have its own little gluten free area....and that was not the case. So when I couldn't find anything and people were pretty rude that I was in the way...clearly I was lost!

angelbender Newbie

Slllluuurrrrrrp! Those pancakes are GREAT! They are my new bestest favouritest food. Here comes the sugar wagon! I quit eating pancakes years ago when I found out I was hypoglycemic but I picked up TJ's frozen pancakes and they sat in my freezer and I finally tried them lately and now I'm out and going to get more before our snowstorm (Chicago) moves in full blast today. And I nuke them,not a toaster. Well, lots of sugar with the cakes and syrup but hey, they've got 5 (count them!)

grams of protein per serving. Our TJ's in Batavia,Il didn't have the choc/walnut cookies last time I checked. They keep the gluten-free ginger cookies (which I love) on the shelf above the fridge and freezer sections, not in a special cooky section. I am enthused that TJ's seems to be picking up again on the gluten-free stuff, after putting all of their disclaimers on other stuff.....I'm not willing to chance eating items that are made on the same equip as wheat items. Okay, I'm done! Yall have a great day! Angel

Nancym Enthusiast

TJ has stock that comes and goes. Some of it is seasonal, some is just part of their normal business cycle. I always try to stock up when I find something I really, really like.

BTW: On the W. Coast they have a flyer listing all their gluten free products located on a display. Those of you on the E. Coast might want to look for that flyer. They do mix all their gluten free stuff in with the gluten stuff so it can be hard to spot.

Archived