Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slmprofesseur

Toddler Stools- Gross But Please Help

What does a normal toddler stool look like?

I am not sure since my 2 yr old son still has some foul stools with little form. He has been gluten free since 4/07. When he was cutting his molars he had D for 2 wks.

I think the sitter was slipping him gluten about 3 wks ago, he would have these stools (3-4 times a day) with slimy mucous over and over. He had dark circles under the eyes and was extremely cranky. Now that I have been with him all day no problems except for lose stools. Can eating mostly fruits and veggies cause this? Oh yeah, one more question- when a toddler gets gluten does the food come out undigested? I know this is gross, but I need to know if I have to go to the ped or see a nutritionist or something. Not that anyone will listen to me!!!!!

Thanks for any advice! :)

Knitting is a gluten free hobby!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They should be formed. In my daughter the mucos in the stools is caused by milk/dairy/casien/lactose consumption. When she gets glutened, it comes out either mushy (depends upon what she ate) or sometimes it looks the same as it went in. We did a strict fruit/veggie diet with little else for about a month or two before introducing any processed foor or gluten free grains. This helped her healing by giving her stomach little to argue with. The stools firmed up and went to a nice "stool" color as well. Now if she gets something she shouldn't, it takes little time to get her right again. Add milk stuff to it and that is what caused her stools to be slimy and mucous. Otherwise, the gluten makes them dry looking. Fruits can cause loose stools but I stuck to the typical fruits and veggies and didn't add in anything beyond apples,pears, bannanas, peach and occasional plum until her stools were firm.

HTH

Stacie