Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yogimom

Plz Help! Symptoms Come And Go!

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me or relate to what I'm going through. I seem to have several symptoms of gluten intolerance. They include IBS, gas, bloating, joint pains etc. I have found a definite connection to my eating certain foods and having a reaction. Things like bagels and cake really blow up my stomach, 1 hour after eating them I am doubled over with cramps and pain.

Here's the part I'm not getting. I don't seem to have symptoms everytime I eat gluten. It seems to be with more highly concentrated amounts. Now it may be that I'm having minor symptoms but so used to it that I don't know it, I honestly don't know. It also seems that whenever I have gluten later in the day like dinnertime the symptoms are worse. Does this make any sense to anyone? Can you have a gluten intolerance but not have symptoms everytime you eat it?

I have not been tested yet but have been completely off gluten for 2 weeks and haven't had any symptoms. I plan to talk to my doctor about it very soon.

thanks all, have a great day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That sounds like me. I would get very ill after eating 100% whole wheat pasta but could do regular white pasta okay. If I ate 100% whole wheat bread I would get sick but not so much with white bread. I also felt worse in the evening, after I ate dinner. About an hour after I would eat dinner I would have to RUN to the bathroom and that's where I camped out for the rest of the evening. Not fun. I think it was because I was eating so much gluten at night, pasta, bread, gravy, all that good stuff. I usually eat pretty light during the day because I have no time to eat!

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.