Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScrapHappy

Pamela's Cookies - What Gives? (i'm New To gluten-free)

Okay, I am on day 5 of being gluten-free (even getting the lingo down tx to all of you).

I'm self-dx because I'm a) w/out health insurance for the 1st time in my life and B) tired of being dx with acid reflux and then put on acid reducers that don't work, including a nightmare-ish accidental overdose of Pepcid AC.

After just 5 days gluten-free I am happy to say that I am no longer contributing to global warming through my voracious methane gas production. I was sure GoogleEarth had a cloud over my house.

My diet experiments last week showed heartburn within 20 minutes of eating whole wheat crackers, but not from eating spicy chips and salsa (both confirmed gluten-free). My conculsion - gotta be the wheat/gluten in the crackers. Ditto the wheat bread, but not the separately eaten peanut butter and jelly.

I'm reading "Living Gluten-free for Dummies' and have ordered the gluten sensitivity stool test from Enterol Lab just for fun.

Sooo, if I can eat Pamela's Raisin Walnut cookies with no heartburn, but I DO get heartburn (w/in 15 min) of eating Pamela's Shortbread Swirl cookies....can I assume the Shortbread cookie is contaminated, or do I have yet another sensitivity to discover?

Trying to figure this all out - tx!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Okay, I am on day 5 of being gluten-free (even getting the lingo down tx to all of you).

I'm self-dx because I'm a) w/out health insurance for the 1st time in my life and B) tired of being dx with acid reflux and then put on acid reducers that don't work, including a nightmare-ish accidental overdose of Pepcid AC.

After just 5 days gluten-free I am happy to say that I am no longer contributing to global warming through my voracious methane gas production. I was sure GoogleEarth had a cloud over my house.

My diet experiments last week showed heartburn within 20 minutes of eating whole wheat crackers, but not from eating spicy chips and salsa (both confirmed gluten-free). My conculsion - gotta be the wheat/gluten in the crackers. Ditto the wheat bread, but not the separately eaten peanut butter and jelly.

I'm reading "Living Gluten-free for Dummies' and have ordered the gluten sensitivity stool test from Enterol Lab just for fun.

Sooo, if I can eat Pamela's Raisin Walnut cookies with no heartburn, but I DO get heartburn (w/in 15 min) of eating Pamela's Shortbread Swirl cookies....can I assume the Shortbread cookie is contaminated, or do I have yet another sensitivity to discover?

Welcome!

Five days is a very short time, if you have had any damage or irritation for that matter. If you do have a compromised insides any foods could give your heartburn until it has healed.

You might want to limit your diary intake for a month or so until that healing takes.

Gluten free for Dummies is a good start. After that, start on Celiac Disease: a Hidden Epidemic, by Dr. Peter Green.

Have you checked your pots and pans, cutting boards, colander, wooded spoons, toaster, cosmetics, shampoos, lipbalms... All can be sources of hidden gluten which will hinder your recovery. It took me about six months to truely master the diet and the learning curve is steep.

If you don't already, a food journal would be helpful to identify foods

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Welcome!

Five days is a very short time, if you have had any damage or irritation for that matter. If you do have a compromised insides any foods could give your heartburn until it has healed.

You might want to limit your diary intake for a month or so until that healing takes.

Gluten free for Dummies is a good start. After that, start on Celiac Disease: a Hidden Epidemic, by Dr. Peter Green.

Have you checked your pots and pans, cutting boards, colander, wooded spoons, toaster, cosmetics, shampoos, lipbalms... All can be sources of hidden gluten which will hinder your recovery. It took me about six months to truely master the diet and the learning curve is steep.

Thanks L

Welcome!

Thank Lisa - I'll start the journal right away.

I'm wondering if a 15/20 minute response to a food isn't more of an allergic reaction than a further-down-the-gut intolerance? Hmmm, I'll start that food journal. tx again!

Thank Lisa - I'll start the journal right away.

I'm wondering if a 15/20 minute response to a food isn't more of an allergic reaction than a further-down-the-gut intolerance? Hmmm, I'll start that food journal. tx again!

I get sick after eating some Pamela's cookies, too! I thought it was just me.. I don't know which ones specifically got me sick though, I haven't been eating them for a while.

Scream thy last scream!

Compare the ingredients in the 2 varieties and note what is in the shortbread cookies that is not in the raisin walnut cookies. Try eating something else containing that specific ingredient. If there is more than one, experiment with only one at a time. That should help figure it out! :)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)