jlr

Mind And Body Connection - Any Suggestions?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 5 years ago and I have been on a gluten free diet ever since. It took some time but the diet has significantly improved my health.

I suffered from celiac symptoms - diareaha, malabsorption, anxiety and depression - for 15 years before I was diagnosed. During those years, I developed a phobia and anticipatory anxiety over the celiac symptoms and episodes.

The gluten free diet has significantly improved my health and has almost eliminated my symptoms, but as most of you have experienced - I occassionally get "glutened" after eating out.

My main reaction is still diareaha but it is nowhere near as severe as it used to be - the problem that I am still struggling with is the psycholgical symptoms. When I experience the diareaha, I also immediately start having a panic attack - shortness of breath, hyperventilation, body shakes and nausea. I can usually keep a full blown attack at bay by breathing into a paper bag but I am always on the edge.

I am sure these attacks are the result of the multiple episodes that I suffered for 15 years before I was diagnosed and the emotional toll that goes along with that.

Does anyone else have these panic attacks? Has anyone been able to work through these attacks and move past them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Janet

Well I can definately identify with how you are feeling. My panic attacks were severe and eventually made me a person trapped in my own home and even at one point restricted where I could be in there. I lived like that for a long time. I finally decided to try and get some help a few months ago. I started seeing a counselor and was put on the generic form of Xanax, alprazolam, and it is helping a great deal. I would suggest talking to your doctor about this or calling your local mental health organization. The one thing you don't want to do is nothing as this sort of anxiety can start to spiral out of control. I can now walk my dog and go out in the yard and have even been to a movie, things I could in no way do a year ago. You really don't want to get to that point.

I, like Raven, experienced panic attacks for years ( especially while driving), that became debilitating. I got a book , can't remember the name of it, unfortunately, that taught me how to stop them using deep breathing exercises. I was at a point where I couldn't leave the house either! It' a terrible thing to live with. I don't have them anymore, unless I'm driving. I think it was the combo of the breathing and gradually exposing myself to go out further and further that helped. I hope you can overcome your situation. Getting glutened does't help, either.

Susan