Byron of Ashwood

Update On My Spiced Marzipan 'Xmas Cake & Ros

Rate this topic

As promised, I'm going to throw up a quick post on my efforts to whack out a gluten-free 'Xmas cake that wasn't a fruit cake for this recently past Christmas.

1. The three Orgran Vanilla cake mixes worked a treat together. I got a monster sized 8"x3" deep cake at the end of the day.

2. The adaptation worked and in the end I did a lactose/egg free version - my preference in the future would be to include eggs but it was still moist and delicious. It didn't last well past the seventh day, even in a steel tin. By the eleventh day it had passed it's sell-by date but there was only a sliver left, given the sneaking pieces my room-mates apparently enjoyed.

3. While there was a certain faffing due to volume of flour, tin size, baking times - we don't bake on the scale the Victorians & Edwardians did, it was worth the effort. Viz the cherry extract for the glaze to replace frosting/icing sugar worked. The marzipan middle also worked better than expected and I used Rice bran oil rather than marge, hence the eggless etc etc. The new fan oven was a bit of a challenging variation to work with too. Still, there wasn't a monster disaster on my hands!

It worked so well that the Penster's husband couldn't wait to take half of it home with them afterwards! :P

The Ros

MERRY CHRISTMAS, a little late.

I am so glad to hear about your success! How about some recipes?