WinterSong

Delicious And Nutritious Bread Recipe!

Rate this topic

This was my second try attempting this recipe. The first time I accidentally killed the yeast. This time I had one of my baker friends help me out. The secret - make sure you have a food thermometer and get the milk to the correct temperature before adding the yeast.

But I'm so happy with how it turned out this time. It's delicious, has a really hearty taste, and has a ton of nutritious flours in it. It does take a while since the bread has to rise for an hour or so, but it's definitely worth it if you like to bake. I got the recipe from "1,000 Gluten Free Recipes" by Carol Fenster, and adjusted it a bit. After slicing it, I put it in the freezer, and when I want a slice I take it out and instantly toast it. Yum!

Buckwheat Bread

1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast

2 tbs sugar, divided

1 cup warm (110 degrees F) milk (cow's, rice, soy, potato, or nut)

1 cup gluten free buckwheat flour (plus more for dusting)

1 cup gluten-free flour blend (I use a sorghum blend - 1.5 cups sorghum flour, 1.5 cup potato or arrowroot starch, 1 cup tapioca flour)

1 cup arrowroot or potato starch

Xanthan gum - just a little more than 2 tsp

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup canola oil

2 large eggs at room temperature

1 tsp cider vinegar

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm milk. Set aside to foam for five minutes. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Dust the bottom and sides of the pan lightly with buckwheat flour. In a larger bowl combine remaining sugar, buckwheat four, sorghum blend, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, salt, oil, eggs, vinegar, and yeast-milk mixture. Beat on low speed to blend. Beat on high speed 30 seconds. Dough will be soft (add a little extra sorghum blend flour if need be). Transfer to prepared pan. Smooth top with a wet spoon. Place a towl over it and let it rise in a warm place until dough is level with top of pan (about 1 or 2 hours). Preheat oven to 375. With a sharp knife make three diagonal slashes (1/8 in deep) in loaf so steam can escape during baking. Bake one hour or until temperature reaches 205 degrees F on an instant read thermometer inserted into center of loaf. Cool bread in the pan for ten minutes. Remove bread from pan. Cool completely before slicing.

Hope you like it too! :D