Cinderella64

Hypothyroidism After gluten-free Diet-Any Improvement?

Rate this topic

Hi!

It's me again, sorry for so many questions. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism few month ago, but I don't have Hashimoto disease.

I have read that gluten intolerance may cause hypothyroidism and high prolactin levels too. ( I have both of them). Is there a chance that after the body recovered of gluten the thyroid and the pituitary will start to work normal again? Any experiences?

Thank you!

Celiac definitely messes with your hormone systems somehow. There are quite well documented links between celiac disease and thyroid problems, and also reproductive hormones. I experimented with a gluten free diet about 6 or 7 years ago, and within a short time I felt really weird. The Doc found my thyroid was hyperactive. Instead of accepting a prescription for whatever hormone they give you to control a hyperactive thyroid, I accepted a prescription for antibiotics and reintroduced some gluten back into my diet. A few months later I tested as hypothyroid, and the thyroid then normalised after about 6 months while I stayed on a low gluten diet.

As I test negative for celiac, and at that time I didn't get stomach pains from eating gluten, I gradually moved back onto a normal diet. 4 years later, at the age of 45, my periods stopped and the hot flushes started with a vengeance. I was treated for ovarian cysts, and my periods restarted for another year, and then stopped again, again with ferocious flushes and night sweats. I was finally diagnosed as celiac 6 months later (after some blood tests confirmed me as post menopausal). Within a couple of days of going gluten free the sweats stopped and my periods restarted, and are now regular as ever.

Maybe this is all just coincidence, but it doesn't feel like it to me. My TSH levels are currently a bit erratic, sometimes within the normal threshold, and sometimes under it, so I may end up as hypoactive yet. I am hoping it will settle down, but it is too soon to say yet.

I have been on thyroid meds for about 15 years. Last year I was diagnosed a Celiac and have been on a gluten-free diet since. I had asked to be retested a few months back and they were able to reduce my dosage based on the results so I know it is improving for me. :)