Lizzy A

Biocard Home Test For Coeliac

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone

My consultant asked me to go on a gluten free diet two weeks after I had experienced weight loss and other symptoms, and the lower bowel tests showed nothing. Given the delay over the Christmas period I havent had the result of the blood test back yet that he did for coeliac disease so I decided to do the Biocard home test which I bought from the chemist. It gets very good write ups and is meant to be 96% accurate. The result is supposed to be positive for the antibodies if 2 lines appear (dim or strong) and negative if no lines appear. When I did the test a very thin second line appeared but it is really dim - could this be a positive result but a weak one because I havent been eating gluten? I have a photo of the test result on a JPG file that I can send.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Liz x

Hi and welcome to the board.

My understanding of Biocard is that a second line is a positive result, even if it's dim. It's unlikely that only two weeks of gluten-free would mess up the testing - it may be that you just don't have a high titer of celiac antibodies. It will be interesting to see if your blood testing agrees with Biocard. B)

I hope you are starting to feel better off gluten!

Hi and welcome to the board.

My understanding of Biocard is that a second line is a positive result, even if it's dim. It's unlikely that only two weeks of gluten-free would mess up the testing - it may be that you just don't have a high titer of celiac antibodies. It will be interesting to see if your blood testing agrees with Biocard. B)

I hope you are starting to feel better off gluten!

Thank you so much for replying. I am just relieved that these seemingly disparate and unpleasant symptoms may go away by me adjusting my diet. I am looking forward to feeling better :D