This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Gluten-Free Causing Mania?

KaleidoscopeDream

KaleidoscopeDream Newbie

Hi, all. I'm schizoaffective/bipolar subtype and have been taking the same meds for over a year and have had relative stability. Last month I finally went gluten free after a celiac diagnosis and I started to feel really good. More energetic, more motivated, and more productive. However, as of last night/this morning I have had uncontrollable, racing thoughts. I couldn't sleep at all, and now my anxiety and agitation is through the roof. It feels like the start of a yucky mixed episode or dysphoric mania, only it has come on a lot more suddenly and stronger than usual.

My question is: can removing gluten from my diet trigger mania? Or did I maybe become cross-contaminated this weekend? I know there's some kind of link between gluten and schizophrenic spectrum disorders, but I don't know how exactly. I'm definitely going to do some research on the subject, but I was wondering if any of you might have experienced something similar? I just need some reassurance that I'm doing what's best for myself.

I did see my psychiatrist this morning and we're altering my meds a little to try to counteract this, so I'm not in a crisis or anything at this point. It's just... am I right in wondering if this sudden onset is due to dietary changes?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

When your intestines start to heal, they can better absorb not just nutrients from your food, but medicines as well. Perhaps you are now absorbing more meds than you need?

KaleidoscopeDream Newbie

When your intestines start to heal, they can better absorb not just nutrients from your food, but medicines as well. Perhaps you are now absorbing more meds than you need?

That is a really good point that I hadn't considered. Before I went gluten free my doctor increased my lamictal dosage from 200 mg to 300, and today she wondered if that might be what was triggering this episode. She had me lower the dosage back to 200 and increased my anxiety medication a little as a temporary fix.

You've given me some hope now! I'm not delusional enough to believe I could eventually go off the meds altogether, but I do look forward to potentially decreasing the dosages. Yet another encouraging reminder that I'm on the road to celiac recovery. :)

Archived